Examined Lives by sallysavestheday

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Pengolodh and Erestor negotiate truth and a relationship after they both Sail to Valinor.

Major Characters: Erestor, Pengolodh

Major Relationships: Erestor/Pengolodh

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Ficlet

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 687
Posted on 14 June 2023 Updated on 14 June 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really enjoyed this ficlet! Pengolodh is a favorite of mine, and I've thought more about him than is probably healthy, given that he's not even mentioned in the published Silm. This felt very true to his character (and Erestor's!) as I've come to think of them over the years, and your language is just gorgeous. Some favorites:

Temporary migrations can be pleasurable, when one has a habit of care.

Ah, this is SO Erestor!

They have crafted a life together out of the elasticity of truth. What each knows is shaded and shadowed by experience and perception ...

I teach history and feel like I say this to my students every day, but you say it so much more beautifully!

The final lines are just stunning! Such a lovely synthesis of their romance and shared quest for the elusive historical truth.

The more I read this, the bigger it grows... and the more I appreciate your turn of phrase(s) as much as all the concepts. One of the things I really love about well-written short fanworks is how they often contain so many more words (or image-feels, in my mind) then their word count, and you are truly a master in this regard!