Thangorodrim by ford_of_bruinen

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Fingon rescuing Maedhros. Prequel to Vodka and Unhingedf

Major Characters: Fingon, Maedhros, Thorondor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 4, 664
Posted on 10 June 2013 Updated on 10 June 2013

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Every serious House of Finwe writer has to eventually write their story of Thangorodrim. This one is difficult to read, but not without hope. (Or whatever it is that passes for hope for those living under the Curse.) Fingon's struggles and the physical details of those are communicated in a manner intense enough that reader feels like he has personally experienced them.

I liked the small scene at the end with Caranthir; it very much mirrors my own thoughts about the conflicting attitudes Maedhros' brothers mighy have had when faced with Fingon's rescue:

Caranthir tore his eyes away from his older brother and met Fingon's eyes, the traces of old friendship back warring with respect, gratitude and worry.  'And you, cousin, should I send healers to you as well?' his voice was gruff from carefully held back emotions.

Thanks for reading Oshun. Funny thing I writing Thangorodrim in such detail never entered my mind until this part of the vodka universe started clamouring for attention. It may sound odd but I am glad it was hard to read, it was hard to writ too trying to make it intense trying to catch what Fingon could have felt and had to do and so on. I wanted it to feel realistic if that makes sense with talking eagles and all ;)

 

Caranthir appeared from nowhere but was almost straight away torn in his reactions, the joy, the guilt... the gratitude and the renewed respect/ friendship of someone that they al seem to have been close to on the other side of the sea.

 

Fingon of course keeps trying to stand in the middle of it all :P Some day I might even add on another chapter to this, it feels like there should be one.

 

Thanks for reading and commenting

 

xx Uli

Never before I read something more graphic than this concerning Maedhros' being rescued from his torture, but is really next to what really would have happened.

Though using rough words and pictures, you really did this well, not weaving words around it, to hide the bitter and bloody trueth, but to change cruelty into mercy, and maybe some wish fullfillment, along.

Well done...