Let There Be Light by StarSpray

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for Ainur Week 2023 and also for the Roaring Twenties bingo prompt Galaxies Beyond the Milky Way

Fanwork Information

Summary:

When the Valar descended from the Timeless Halls into Eä, they found all in darkness, with nothing there of the world they had seen and sung.

Major Characters: Ilmarë, Varda

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Ficlet, General

Challenges: Roaring Twenties

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 566
Posted on 4 September 2023 Updated on 4 September 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is fantastic! I particularly like the way you've seamlessly blended science with the myth. And your descriptions are, as ever, so vibrant and vivid. Love it!

Oh! And I forgot to mention another fave bit, where Melkor’s mangling only aids the others. I've always wished for other examples of this than those in Ulmo's domain.

Thank you so much! I spend a lot of time looking at images from Hubble and the James Webb telescope and it was really fun to use some of that inspiration in this peace.

I'm glad you like the bit with Melkor! I wanted to include supernovas and his meddling producing the very first ones just made sense.

The descriptions and imagery of Varda creating the stars, and Ilmarë tending the star nurseries, are just beautiful. But somehow Melkor blowing up stars and creating the other building blocks needed for Arda is, I think, my favourite part of this piece.