Círdan's Guide to sailing the Straight Road by daughterofshadows

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Hello, and welcome to Círdan's guide to the Straight Road, a fic structured as excerpts from an in-universe book.
Our two main narrators are Círdan, Lord of Mithlond and his queer-platonic partner Aerchen who uses they/them pronouns in this fic, but is generally genderfluid.
This story was inspired by Narya's beautiful collage, which you can also find on tumblr!

Thank you to my wonderful betas, espurrlady and maglor-my-beloved for catching my spelling mistakes. Any remaining errors are my own.

It also fits the Book prompt for the Roaring twenties challenge wonderfully!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The sea is full of dangers, and the Straight Road is no exception.
As my people now leave these shores behind, it is my hope that this book will be of aid to those who choose to sail in the years to come.
May it guide you safely across the sea and to the shores of Valinor and may the wind and the waves be ever in your favour.

 

"Travel advice was very helpful, but we were glad the people of Dol Amroth helped us to build the boat. 4/5 stars." - L&G

 

"Perhaps finding this book was a sign to finally sail and face whatever awaits me across the sea." - M. F.

 

"Mighty helpful book. Wouldn't have made it across the sea without it. Hope I'll get to say thank you in person someday. 5/5 stars." - S. G.

Major Characters: Original Character(s), Original Nonbinary Character(s), Círdan

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental, General

Challenges: Roaring Twenties

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 4 Word Count: 5, 331
Posted on 13 September 2023 Updated on 13 September 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

There are dangerous creatures aplenty in Belegaer.
Let's take a look at one specific one.
Fastitocalon is a poem from the Adventures of Tom Bombadil, and this chapter was the first one I wrote for this fic.

Text in italics are Círdan's commentary on the text provided, plain text are story accounts of Fastitocalon

Warning for Mild Violence applies to this chapter

Yssion = Osse's Sindarin name

Plain text: Círdan's writing
Italics: Aerchen's commentary

The final chapter, and we finish off with a whirlwind tour across Belegaer. From ancient fortresses to haunted islands, from Ents to long-lost ruins, this chapter has it all.

Plain text: Aerchen
Italics: Círdan


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.