Rising as if Weightless by StarSpray

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the 2023 Tolkien Reverse Summer Bang inspired by Lycheesodas' gorgeous art found with the fic on AO3 and on Tumblr.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

“Oh,” Elwing said faintly. She felt the need to sit down, but locked her knees against it. “Then—have they been released from Mandos, my lord? I had not heard that you came in person to deliver such news.”

“They have not, not yet,” said Námo, and to Elwing’s surprise his mouth softened into a small smile, there and gone again in the blink of an eye. “Your brothers are still very young; Mandos is not a place for children to grow. They are ready to return to the world, but unlike most others who pass through my halls they cannot make the journey across Valinor alone. Come to the gates of my halls with all swiftness, and you will find your brothers there.” He inclined his head, and was gone.

Major Characters: Dior, Eärendil, Elrond, Elros, Eluréd, Elurín, Finrod Felagund, Idril, Nimloth, Tuor

Major Relationships: Eärendil/Elwing, Eluréd & Elurín, Dior & Elwing, Elrond & Elros & Elwing, Eluréd & Elurín & Elwing

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 4 Word Count: 23, 621
Posted on 17 September 2023 Updated on 9 October 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I can’t even start to express how beautiful that story is, and how wholesome. I love that despite all the grief that’s going on there, there is still no bitterness. It’s really a wonderful story, I especially like how the boys are just that, children, but still they represent a different bitter-sweet memory for everyone. They are not only Elwing’s brothers that she gets back, but they also give her the role of a mother back that she missed out on. Not as a substitude, of course, but just filling that aweful void that is childloss a little bit. Then Míriel with her clothes… it’s like she’s apologising for what her grandsons did, in a very beautiful, blame-less way. And for Olwë (I admit that was the point I started crying) seeing the twins must be, well no, IS like having a bit of his own brothers back. It’s beautiful. 

Oh wow. I’m glad they made that journey, but… I don’t think I’d ever have the strength to sail away again. What Elwind and Eärendil and Elros did there was so brave and so, so beautiful. 
 

And on a more easy-going note: I laughed a lot at Idril’s comment on Finrod wearing a whole dragon-hoard, and also at Elros dropping his crown. Whoops. LOL 

So Elurín sails the skies with his brother-in-law. I like that. It feels like belongs there, somehow, though he himself is still not certain, is he, if he really made the right choice? As is (was?) Eluréd?
I loved how you wrote Nimloth and Dior's return, because it was both beautiful and somehow awkward, as it surly must have been.