Drunken Lullabies by Grundy

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Experimental: normally I am singing the song 'titles, why?' once the story is written and I want to post. So this time I have started with the title and worked from there!

Warnings for drunkenness, vomit, and mention of off-screen character death.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

News of the Sudden Flame has reached Nargothrond.

Major Characters: Finrod Felagund, Gildor

Major Relationships: Finrod & Gildor

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: Experimental, New Year's Resolution

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 386
Posted on 13 January 2024 Updated on 13 January 2024

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I enjoyed this so much (sad though it is). I've never read anything with Gildor as Finrod's son before - and I hadn't even thought about the effect this news would have on Nargothrond. It was good to have the light relief of Uncle Elu's vase! And I loved the detail about no parents being left utterly bereft.

Thank you!

I've been writing Gildor as Finrod's (adopted) son for a while now. (Any laughter you hear is those who know I started that in response to the Taboo challenge back in 2017 and still haven't finished it...)

Poor Finrod was belatedly trying to do what he can for his people, despite knowing what's waiting for them in the North.

Their dead will still be dead tomorrow, and he himself will be marching to what may prove his doom.

This is heartbreaking, and so very Tolkien.  Thank you for such a beautiful and human look at the reaction to war erupting again.

This was very good, and the atmosphere of the fic was just perfect. There was dread and a feeling of inevitable doom, but perhaps also a glimpse of hope. The different experience of war in different generations of elves was something I hadn't thought before, but you're so right about it. I also liked how eating lembas could be used as a comfort in distress.