The Trial of a Dream by chrissystriped

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This fic is linked to an AU in which Maeglin finds the courage to tell that he was captured by Morgoth. Gondolin is evacuated and Maeglin meets Celebrimbor at the Havens of Sirion. The fic is still a WIP and stops before the War of Wrath, so I thought to write something that could happen further along the line.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A Maia arrives in Ost-in-Edhil. Maeglin cannot share Celebrimbor's excitement, he feels something is wrong with 'Annatar'.

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Maeglin, Sauron

Major Relationships: Celebrimbor/Maeglin

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe

Challenges: Meet & Greet

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Torture

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 158
Posted on 11 March 2024 Updated on 11 March 2024

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

chrissystriped has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


I want to see more of this world, but I love how you've lain it out -- a snapshot of disaster, averted, or maybe not averted (come on, Celebrimbor!).

Does Gondolin still exist, since Maeglin did not betray it??

Thank you! I'm not sure myself if this will turn towards canon or not. I think Tolkien wrote somewhere (Letters, maybe) that after the War of Wrath Sauron tried to be good out of fear. I like to think he's currently at a point where it could go either way with him. And at least Celebrimbor is warned (not sure how much good that will do, he's still a Feanorian after all XD).

Gondolin is gone, but lots more people survived because they had a chance to evacuate before the attack. There's actually a huge chunk of the fic posted, if you are interested (and I realise now I might have added a link): https://www.silmarillionwritersguild.org/node/4749 I'm currently in a bit of a writing low and my WIPs suffer from it, but it is not abandoned.

Ooh, it gives such a delicious extra flavour to Annatar in Ost-in-Edhil fics when you put Maeglin in their midst. Annatar’s feelings when he sees Maeglin there must have been all over the place. It was somehow heartening to read that he wished to have met him there in the first place. I of course love Celebrimbor’s reaction when he learns about Annatar’s identity from Maeglin. Just as I see him. This was an enjoyable story!

Mairon can see how good Maeglin is at what he's doing and he misses to talk to likeminded people. He's a bit lonely, I think, and not completely past the point of no return. Celebrimbor wants so much for his vision to work and if that means to give Sauron a chance, he's going to do it. Maeglin knew he'd decide like that, I think, and he's going to keep an extra pair of eyes on Annatar.

Thank you so much for your comment <3

For starters, I just love the idea of Maeglin and Celebrimbor together in Ost-in-Edhel. And then... well, one of the joys of AUs is there's no knowing how closely they'll follow canon, so there's so much suspense here. What will Celebrimbor say to Annatar? All Annatar's plans could go to ruin with Maeglin here, hut will be end up being influenced by them and actually building the better world he claims to desire? Very intriguing!

I don't really know myself where this is heading (but I admit I have a thing for repentant bad guys). I think Annatar can still change his mind, (and he's been a bit lone for a while, I think) but he also knows now that Maeglin knows and will be extra careful, if he should decide to go through with world domination.

Thank you for your comment!