I Comfort You by Flora-lass

| | |

I Comfort You


After an hour or two of riding, Gimli finally decides that Arod has no desire to throw him, and relaxes his grip on Legolas slightly. With the lessening of his own tension, however, it is immediately apparent how tense Legolas is.

They have barely spoken since Gimli joined Legolas on Arod's back, so nervously grateful for his friend's gentle suggestion. Legolas has seemed lost in thought, only offering an occasional quiet word to the horse. Gimli has been concentrating on not falling off, and there is so much to think about, after their rather fraught encounter with Eomer and the Rohirrim. They still do not know what has happened to Merry and Pippin, and are anxious about what may lie ahead. And they are more exhausted than they care to admit.

Gimli knows he is weary beyond what is normal for a Dwarf, but that is only to be expected. Even Eomer expressed admiration for how far they had come in so short a time - and that was before the tiring work of riding began! But he is concerned for his friend, whose weariness is of another kind. Legolas has lately been obliged to live in mortal time, and is oppressed by what often seems to him to be its fruitless haste, ever rushing onwards with little to show for it. And yet there is no question of his total commitment to the mortals with whom he has been journeying. Gimli knows all this, although they have not truly spoken of it, and he marvels that he should so presume to understand the frustrations of an Elf. But it is a sign of the strength of their bond that he does understand, and feels sure that he is right.

He also knows, if there had still been any doubt, how deep must be the regard in which Legolas holds him. ‘He stands not alone…’. What was Legolas thinking, to threaten a potential ally and so jeopardise their quest? Of course, there had also been the insult to the Lady Galadriel, but Gimli himself had dealt with that - and Legolas had trusted him to do so! Not for the first time, Gimli wonders what has happened to the world. But there is no going back. He is the sworn Companion and friend of an Elf, for good or ill.

And that Elf, who has for a while been sitting in front of him as silent and still as a statue, is in trouble. Suddenly his shoulders slump, and a small choked sound escapes him.

Gimli considers, briefly, whether Legolas will want or accept his comfort. They have seen each other weep before now, and have shared their griefs; but this is not the same, and he may prefer to be left alone. But they are riding together, on an errand that will not wait, and how can Gimli ignore, or even appear to ignore, such obvious distress?

Although Gimli now trusts Arod more than he did at first, it still requires effort to change position and relax his hold on Legolas further, so that he can rub his friend's back and arms in long, soothing strokes. At least, he hopes they are soothing. Legolas does not protest, and Gimli even begins to sing softly. But in the end, none of this feels like quite enough, and he simply gives his friend a hug. And this seems to be what Legolas wants most of all, as he takes one of Gimli's hands and kisses it. And holds it close.

Gimli’s face is in Legolas’ hair. Such beautiful hair! Not as beautiful as the Lady's, of course - but so very real and so here, damp with tears and smelling of the smoke they are riding straight into. This is not someone to be worshipped from a distance. This is the person with whom he wishes to spend the rest of his life.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment