An Enquiry into the Matter of Gilmith of Dol Amroth by Elleth

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for The_Wavesinger for Fandom Stocking 2015. 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

As it is part of my own and Éomer's shared origin, we have taken some interest in the geneaologies of Dol Amroth, Lothíriel wrote, and although the Line of Princes is documented in detail, mysteries continue to surround the women of its beginning, namely the Silvan Elf Mithrellas and her daughter Gilmith.

Major Characters: Gilmith, Mithrellas, Nimrodel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental, General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 784
Posted on 10 January 2016 Updated on 10 January 2016

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Somewhat inspired by Cinaed's brilliant Close in Friendship": Homosocial Relationships in the First Age, though obviously in format more than topic. Since canon doesn't offer a great deal of insight into what happened to Mithrellas and Nimrodel (and none at all into what happened to Gilmith), all of this is wildly fictional, and a lot of it was shamelessly borrowed from my own 'verse for these two, in particular Searching and Searching and Running, but I hope it makes sense standing on its own.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


(First of all, tomorrow, I need to read Searching and Searching and Running, because I can't get enough of this 'verse)

I read this again, and I have a couple more squees to add: the references to so many Silm legends, the bits of children's stories which've survived (and which give Mithrellas and Galador much more importance, as befits their ancestry, than UT does--it's strange that one of the four (five, if you count Andreth and Aegnor, whcih I do) times Elves and mortals fell in love and/or were married is glossed over, and I love that you explain why.)

Thank you, again, for this fic! ♥♥♥

:D I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about those! (It'll also shed a bit more light on Zôrzirân, whom you asked about, though she doesn't take center stage anywhere in my fics yet. What I have of her backstory is that she's Adrahil's wife, and, I'm pretty sure, not completely of high Númenorean heritage. Rather, she's of mixed descent of the native Gondorians of Belfalas and the Númenorean Faithful who came with Elendil, probably the former more than the latter looking at her lifespan, so she's had more contact with the folk of Dol Amroth than Adrahil did simply due to her heritage, and her rise in station by marrying him was a good opportunity to help where she could). 

I also count Andreth and Aegnor, yes! And it's always been baffling to me that Imrazôr and Mithrellas didn't quite get the same center stage, since there supposedly was a high purpose behind any such mixed marriage, and I'm not sure if the marginal role the Princes of Dol Amroth seems to have played on the whole quite merited that description. But it was fun to imagine what kind of influence it must have had on the people. (I love that the UT and HoMe also point out that there are a number of stories in which sometimes Imrazôr was supposedly married to Nimrodel herself, so it can't have left them cold!) 

Thank you again for the wonderful, wonderful reviews! ♥♥♥