Breathless by elfscribe

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the 2016 My Slashy Valentine swap for Sleepless_Malice

Request: Turgon/Glorfindel and/or Ecthelion. Story elements: pining and (partly) unrequited love, first times, jealousy, drama, communication and character building, politics, sparring/training, wine, unhealthy relationships.  I think I got all your requests into this fic.  Sincere apologies for my long-winded muses.

Beta: the absolutely wonderful, marvelous Russandol 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Glorfindel knows that his clandestine affair with King Turgon will cause a scandal if discovered, especially since the King has outlawed all sexual relationships. But when Glorfindel seeks to understand his own heart, he discovers how impossible it is to keep secrets in Gondolin’s closed community.  Written for 2016 MSV.

 

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s), Original Male Character(s), Duilin, Ecthelion of the Fountain, Elenwë, Glorfindel, Idril, Pengolodh, Rog, Salgant, Turgon, Voronwë

Major Relationships: Glorfindel/Turgon, Ecthelion/Glorfindel

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Romance, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Sexual Content (Moderate), Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 6 Word Count: 27, 472
Posted on 21 February 2016 Updated on 24 February 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Glorfindel wakes up with a hangover and feelings of guilt.

Glorfindel discusses politics with his housekeeper and remembers how both he and Gondolin came to be in their current straits.

When members of Salgant’s House deliver a challenge to Glorfindel’s team, he learns that rumors are flying in Gondolin.

To take Glorfindel’s mind off his troubles, Ecthelion takes him on a long walk to the village of the lawbreakers.

Glorfindel must decide how to uphold his honor.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


There is nothing mythical about your view of Gondolin where resources are short and tempers are short. You bring us a city full of tension, gossip, and frustration. Glorfindel feels trapped in so many ways, it is doubtful at first that he can ever be happy. But then... I won't spoil the story, but let's say that it's about friendship, and more. I love how you develop that particular thread.

As I read, I keep discovering more and more layers of this complex tale where love battles duty and even law. Despite their strife, your characters are ordinary people with the usual everyday doubts in an everyday (but gorgeous!) setting. Even those who one day will become myths have to struggle with putting on their clothes the right way round!

I feel really lucky to have been a witness to your creative process, and amazed at your ability to write such a great story to such a tight deadline. As an added bonus to being your (very willing) cheerleader, I now know a little more about swordfighting than I did before!

There are so many things, great and small, I like about Breathless: the match, the mountain climbing, the eagles, Turgon's grief, Amarthen, Pengolodh's song - OMG, the song!!! And... have I told you I'm in love with your Ecthelion, so optimistic, selfless and loyal despite all the challenges? :o)

 

Thanks sooo much for the second review.  It was feeling kinda lonely here -- there are clicks but no comments, so I think anyone who would normally review has already done so on AO3.  It's good to hear you are finding more layers in this tale.  I keep thinking of ways to improve it but really need to move on to other stuff.  So happy you liked Pengolodh's little song that caused such trouble. *beams*  Glad you love Ecthelion.  He really came out well in this, didn't he?  I should add the pic that I used for inspiration.  It's a wonder it took Glorfindel so long to come around.  Thanks again for being such a great friend and beta!  Hugs!