One woman's journey by Lyra

| | |

Fanwork Notes

In theory, one final chapter is missing from this. But as it's just a series of snippets, it works without the Second and Third Age chapter, too.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

From the bliss of Valinor to the turbulent shores of Middle-earth, the life of Galadriel never gets boring.

A series of vignettes following my set of prompts for the Matryoshka challenge.

Major Characters: Galadriel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental

Challenges: Hero's Journey

Rating: General

Warnings: Character Death

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 4, 138
Posted on 8 June 2017 Updated on 8 June 2017

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

The prompts used for this one:
1. Your character feels pulled in two different directions. As soon as you introduce this conflict, you can open your next prompt.

2. Your character meets with another character. That person changes their mind about something. As soon as you introduce this scene, you can open your next prompt.

3. Your character receives advice... and doesn't take it. As soon as you write the next 1,000 words of your story, you may open the next prompt, whether or not you have addressed this prompt yet.

4. Your character finds himself or herself in a situation when the usual rules don't apply. As soon as you finish this scene, you may open your next prompt.

The prompts used for this one:
5. Your character encounters another person and is unsure of their motivations. How is this sorted out? (Or is it?) When you complete this scene, you can open your next prompt.

6. Your character prepares to face a long-awaited conflict or enemy... and really it turns out to be nothing. But an unexpected conflict presents itself in the process. Write at least 1,000 more words before opening your next prompt, even if you haven't finished this prompt yet.

7. Your character receives something they always wanted... or *thought* they always wanted. Once you've completed this and any unfinished prompts, you can finish the story!


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


As far as I know we have no canonical clue when Galadriel left Doriath itself (although with the Galadriel material being so messy, it's difficult to exclude that there might be something buried somewhere). There are some clues concerning the time when she left Beleriand, but they are quite vague and a bit contradictory.

I like what you have done with this--so many interesting angles! The identity issues, Galadriel aiding Teleri without actually fighting, her views on Thingol and Doriath--and, of course, the series of decisions she has to make.

 

I have to admit that I was too daunted to sift through the various clues and different drafts to even start trying! I figure I can always invoke poetic licence. ;)

Glad to hear that you enjoyed this! It was fun to explore Galadriel through these prompts but I wasn't entirely certain whether it would also be good to read.