Finrod Fashions a World by oshun

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Posted as part of the Silmarillion40 event.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Finrod shares his notion of the creative process with his sister. (Ficlet)

Major Characters: Finrod Felagund, Galadriel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 628
Posted on 14 September 2017 Updated on 14 September 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, I really like this! I saw the title in my email alerts earlier today, from Ao3, and had been looking forward to reading it from that alone.

Your Finrod is lovely here, especially in how much he echoes the other Noldor like Fëanor. He might not be as reknowned in crafts as them, but he is just as prideful in his work when he's finished, whether that's wise or not.

Thanks so much! I love to think about Finrod as being very much of a Noldo. He might have a grandmother who is Vanyarin and mother who is Telerin, but his deeds and his work represent for me the people he helped lead to M-e. I imagine his marvelous cave city designed and fashioned in a manner that is quinessentially Noldorin. (I know he was influenced by Menegroth also, but I imagine his stonework to have a different character than descriptions of that city.) Also, I cannot forget that Tolkien always referred to him was one of the greatest Princes of the Noldor. So, of course, he takes a Noldorin pride in his work in my interpretation. I get a big kick out of writing Finrod as not quite as totally perfect as some fanfic writers characterize him. (I really love him a lot, which moves me to humanize him!)

Thanks again for reading and letting me know how it struck you.

(Although personally I'm sure that the incomparable lessons in witchcraft truly also were a major factor, in Galadriel's case.)

I had an older brother. He is putting her on, of course! They cannot resist doing that a little.

Thanks for reading. Like you enjoyed Finrod. I love to write him, although this was a bit of a rush job!

Oh, thanks so much, Jenni! I love to do family interactions. I grew up among seven siblings, so I like to think I have the background for it!

I love Finrod and Galadriel together, so I enjoyed writing them. No one but an older brother could tease her the way he does. That in and of itself humanizes her.