Most Bright by Lyra

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A collection of short ficlets about Princess Ancalimë, who will become the first Ruling Queen of Númenor.
Newly added: "Exit, Pursued", for B2MeM and the Hidden Figures challenge.

Major Characters: Almarian, Tar-Aldarion, Tar-Ancalimë, Zamîn

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Slash/Femslash

Challenges: B2MeM 2019, Discovery, Hidden Figures, Teen Spirit

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Sexual Content (Mild)

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 4, 135
Posted on 7 August 2018 Updated on 24 March 2019

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

Princess Ancalimë is given the sex talk and seduces her maidservants, not necessarily in that order.

Written for the July challenge, Teen Spirit, using (somewhat loosely) the following prompts,
Conflict: the sex talk
Themes: convention vs. rebellion
Stock characters: queen bees
LGBTQA+: explaining things to adults

Contains mild allusions to sexual experimentation, masturbation and BDSM.

Princess Ancalimë falls in and out of love with the sea.

Written for the Discovery challenge, inspired by the song "How Far I'll Go" from Disney's Moana - though it takes a very different turn.

Annoyed by her suitors, Ancalimë needs Zamîn's help.

Written for several B2MeM 2019 prompts:
G48 - "Ancalimë, aided by the old woman Zamîn, went into hiding" (Tolkien Quotes), "Agitation - Lavender" (Apothecary Garden), "Generosity" (Emotions);
B 9 - "I won't let YOU define me." (Person vs. Self), "Haleth had been a renowned amazon with a picked bodyguard of women" (Tolkien Quotes)

Also a contribution for the "Hidden Figures" SWG challenge (Zamîn did not even have a tag before I posted this, that's how rare she is!)


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, this is great! So well constructed. They are like ships passing in the night. Ancalimë may have been a sly one, but in this case, she simply told the truth and her grandmother simply wouldn't or couldn't understand what she is saying.

I died at these lines:

Shaking her head again, Ancalimë explained, "No, grandmother, what I mean is that I infinitely prefer my handmaidens to any man."
Patting her hand gently, Almarian replied, "Yes, of course, my dear. Go and play with your friends." Another fond smile. "You will grow up soon enough."

So glad you think it's well-constructed! I was sweating so much over the structure. I think Ancalimë learned to be sly from conversations like this - later on, she probably misled people on purpose, but right now, she's still very much finding her own feet.

Now that you quoted these lines, I realised how much they parallel each other! That wasn't intentional at all. XD
Thank you very much!

A princess who has grown up among sheep is not really likely to be unaware of certain anatomical issues, regardless how many men were around, but city dwellers do tend to get confused by their preconceptions about rural innocence, don't they?

It does seem quite possible that Ancalime had been trying that line out on others before she used it on Hallacar and that it had come in handy before!

 

This makes a great deal of sense to me, both in terms of Ancalime's character and Aldarion's!

She would not be interested in anything which assigned her such a passive role and Aldarion really doesn't seem to consider women as anything else than potential passengers, almost luggage, even if precious luggage treated politely, does he?

Too bad about all the things that Ancalime consigns to the blazes, along with sailing, at the end!

Oh, I'm so glad it makes sense to me! It felt kind of AU to make Ancalime actually enamoured of the sea (however briefly), in the light of what we know about her later decisions, so I'm relieved you found her initial feelings and later change of mind convincing!

Yeah, I'm afraid this Aldarion doesn't really understand that women are as capable - and complex - as men. Maybe not so strange, considering that he spent so much time among (all-male) mariners, but still rather frustrating - especially to someone like Ancalime.

Too bad indeed! Especially as history is so quick to view it as a sign of pride and corruption. >_>

Thank you so much for your comment!

I like your take on Zamin, both loyal and practical enough to protect water bowls and give advice against smashing heads, despite her sympathy.

(Also, I like that mental image of the door-keeper, although she doesn't actually appear.)

And that last twist is very neat!

 

Very much enjoyed your story on Ancalimë. I'll admit I'm not not versed at all with the Númenoreans (hard core Feanorian fangirl here). It was an interesting, entertaining read. I've always thought of Númenorean culture as very political, which you showed off. I really liked the fact that we have a relatively "rare" character in Ancalimë who is willing to speak her mind and desires her independence. She and Zamîn both are thoughtful and smart women -- something that from the Númenorean culture seems not to be valued too much.

Thank you very much! I think the Númenoreans do like their women to be thoughtful and smart - but they don't like when they start being thoughtful about what they want, rather than just their family's our household's wellbeing... :P Anyway, glad you enjoyed my take on Númenor! By now I love it nearly as much as I love the Fëanorians, but it is somewhat more niche. I agree that it would be an immensely political culture. Glad that you sympathised with both Ancalimë and Zamîn!