Out of the Great Sea by Lyra

| | |

Fanwork Notes

I've been meaning to write this story ever since I saw James Turner Mohan's sketch "Out of the Sea I am Come". B2MeM finally gave me the impetus to do so.

Written for various B2MeM Bingo prompts:
On the Emotions card, B14 (Pain), I18 (Grief), O64 ( Horror) and O68 (Apprehension);
on the Fëanatics card, B10 (Unjust exile);
on the Mary Oliver (1935-2019) card, B11 (the rumpled sea), N45 (citizen of this fallen city) and G51 (light wrapping itself around us);
on the Person vs. Self card, B14 (crippled by worry), N32 (doing the right thing (when it’s really hard)), N45 (overcoming trauma) and O64 (fear of failure);
and on the Tolkien Quotes card, I16 (We also are daughters of the great, and we have wills and courage of our own) and I24 (It reminds me of the roses of Imloth Melui when I was a lass).

Also written with the "Hidden Figures" challenge and Legendarium Ladies' April in mind. A day too early for LLA, but inspired specifically by an old prompt from 2017, Shipwreck on the Rossbeigh Beach by Eric70. Also also vaguely inspired by Peter Gabriel's song Here Comes The Flood. Oof, that's a lot of preamble for a short story...

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Vëandis, formerly Lady of Andúnië, has been shipwrecked in Middle-earth. Now she and the other survivors of the Downfall have to find the strength to carry on.

Rated Adult for some upsetting content, mentions of death (animal and human), and suicidal ideation.

Major Characters: Elendil, Original Female Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: B2MeM 2019, Hidden Figures

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 914
Posted on 31 March 2019 Updated on 31 March 2019

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I admit I had forgotten about that sketch, but it impressed me, too!

I think you have caught it well, that take on Elendil's words, and I appreciate his wife's thoughts, which form a sort of running commentary.

And how the hope does come at the end, but as a kind of group effort, as they pull themselves together and Elendil almost literally gets pulled out of the waves. I was really moved by that final moment.