The Eyes and Ears of Melkor by Chilled in Hithlum

| | |

Chapter 19 Epilogue


Mablung reported all that had transpired between he and Hurin, and Melian listened intently; she ordered that all should be transcribed so that she might sift the meaning of each word.  Thingol though, was preoccupied with the contents of the box that Hurin presented to him; it was through this fascination that the final annals of Doriath would be written, in which the last evil caused by the release of Hurin would come to pass.  For as is well known to the wise, Thingol contrived it so that the Silmaril which Beren retrieved from Angband should be set into the Nauglamir; thus combining two of the rarest and most valued jewels of the Elder Days.  In so doing, the King of Doriath roused the lust of the Dwarves whom he treated with in this task and they viciously slew him in their greed, taking it for themselves.  The subsequent events are well documented elsewhere: sufficed to say, Melian indeed withdrew to Valinor and with her departure the girdle of enchantment about Doriath lifted and the land lay exposed to attack.  However after much bloodshed, Beren reclaimed the Silmaril-Nauglamir which he gifted to his beloved, Luthien; and their son Dior, who was previously named as Thingol's heir, took up the residence of Menegroth.  When his parents died the jewel was returned to Doriath but Dior sent it away with his daughter, Elwing, to the havens of Cirdan, and although the jewel survived, Dior did not; for rumour of the return to Menegroth of the Silmaril-Nauglamir reached the sons of Feanor, and in a second kin-slaying the new king fell with the mighty Mablung fighting at his side.  In this time also, Meaglin of Gondolin was captured when he ventured further than the laws of Turgon permitted and he was brought in bonds to Angband; so it was then, that much of what reached Melkor's ears seemed good to him, for the completion of his curse upon the House of Hurin was now ultimate.

As for Hurin: he took the road which Mablung recommended and he forged a great friendship with the lodge keeper of Andram, with whom he resided for many weeks, and well beyond the time which his payment stretched.  Mablung hoped that this would happen for he knew of the secluded lodge keeper's delight in tales and good company; moreover, Mablung hoped to catch up again with Hurin but he was not able to visit the lodge until the onset of autumn and by that time Hurin had already moved on.  Still, by all accounts; the old man of Dor-Lomin seemed to enjoy the isolated peace of those lazy summer days and he even permitted the lodge keeper to document some of his story.  And when the day came for Hurin to leave, he thanked his new friend for the hospitality but refused any offer of outdoor gear; saying, "I must be off now while time is and weather permits, tell Mablung that I know my road now and that I need to travel light!  Thank him for me; as I thank you now, farewell!" and with that he was gone.  He passed under the southern shadow of the Andram Wall until he came to the Falls of Sirion and then went downriver towards the Nan Tathren; there he hoped to find the dwelling place of Morwen and anything that she may have left behind.  The forest was not held in province by Cirdan, even though he set a watch about it; therefore, the coming of Hurin was marked and since he was no Orc they allowed him to enter in unmolested, nevertheless they knew him not.  And even though the land was small and he roamed about it freely; Hurin found not that for which he sought and he knew that his time was near. 

So it was in the dead of night that Hurin removed unseen from Nan Tathren; and following the route taken by the Orb that Sauron caused to move, he crept down to the Havens of Cirdan, halting at the very ledge where he witnessed the departure of Voronwe from the shores of Beleriand those many years ago.  He tossed his staff into the crashing sea beneath him and stood upright with his arms outstretched in the high wind; crying aloud, "Morgoth!  O Wicked One, thou believeth that thee hath won; nay!  Still now, there is one of my kin that escaped thee and he remains in the safekeeping of thy most feared enemy, for he is the son of my brother.  And as did Huor, I say now with the eyes of death; from my house and from Turgon's a new star shall arise..."  From below there came the clatter of harbour bells and the lighting of lamps as the Elves of Cirdan were roused.  Above them they discerned the silhouetted figure of the ranting Hurin although they could not make out his words in the fierce winds.  Unavailing, they call up to him; therefore, three Elves took to the stone carved stair to retrieve him, but before they could Hurin leapt from that high place in to the unforgiving waters below.  One among them fancied that he heard Hurin say, "Nienor," ere the end but since he was unfamiliar with that name he could not be too sure.  However, all this was reported in Doriath by Cirdan and in due course the last account of Hurin reached the sad ears of Mablung.

HERE ENDS THE ACCOUNT OF THE LODGE KEEPER OF ANDRAM.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment