The SWG Yellow Pages are a directory of online groups and websites that pertain to Tolkien and writing. We have established and maintain the SWG Yellow Pages as part of the Connectivity aspect of our group's Mission. We recognize that the SWG is a niche group that cannot possibly meet all of the needs of its diverse membership base. Therefore, through projects like the SWG Yellow Pages, we seek to help our members and guests connect to other groups within the larger Tolkien and writing communities.
Anyone may submit a group or site to the SWG Yellow Pages. Owners/moderators of a group may specify what they wish to have listed for summary and contact information. In the event that a group is submitted to the listing by someone other than the owner/moderator, the SWG loremasters will use information publicly available on the group's site to compile the summary and contact information. Whenever possible, summary information will be taken directly from the site so as to appear in the group's "own words" (versus those of our loremasters, who do their best to remain objective and have a tendency to be bland as a result). Owners/moderators may request at any time that this information be updated or the listing be deleted, but it is their responsibility to contact SWG with such information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Groups listed in the Yellow Pages will have their group/website listed under each category for which the group is eligible and will be included in our alphabetical group index with the group's name, url, a summary of the group's purpose, and contact information, if available.
Guidelines for Submitting Your Group to the SWG Yellow Pages
Please read the following guidelines carefully before submitting your group for inclusion in the Yellow Pages. These guidelines have been devised to assure that the groups included in our Yellow Pages meet the mission and goals of SWG and will be of value to our members.
- The group must be open to all members who meet the group's admission criteria. In other words, if you have designed an
archive or run an RPG and intend only on welcoming your friends, the Yellow Pages is not an appropriate place to list your group.
Groups reserve the right to establish reasonable admissions criteria for their members, and these groups are welcome to list in the Yellow Pages. For example, groups may exclude underage members, may open their archive only to members of their mailing list, or may require stories to be reviewed before inclusion in an archive. SWG reserves the right to determine what counts as reasonable criteria. If you are unsure whether your group qualifies, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Our members have a wide variety of interests and so our Yellow Pages include groups that serve a wide variety of purposes. The following groups that meet the rest of our criteria are eligible for listings on the Yellow Pages:
- Groups concerned with the admiration and study of Tolkien's works. Please note that groups do not have to focus on The Silmarillion to be eligible.
- Groups that provide resources for writers. Groups of this nature should be friendly to fan fiction and/or fantasy literature.
- Groups that study fandom and Internet culture, particularly as it relates to book-based fandoms.
- Small archives and groups may reasonably, at times, need to become inactive. Such groups are welcome to list in the Yellow Pages so long as one of the following criteria is met:
- The group has either an active member base or an active moderator.
- The group is accepting new members.
- The group is "dead" but has accessible material/resources still available to the public.
- Groups that contain adult content are welcome to list in our Yellow Pages. However, the information contained in the listing must be appropriate for all ages. SWG reserves the right to edit or remove material in the listing that we deem inappropriate for a non-adult audience.
- Groups that exist solely to mock or belittle writers, stories, or genres of writing are not welcome in our directory.
- Groups that post material written by other authors without those authors' permission are not welcome in our directory.
- The SWG Yellow Pages accepts only non-profit groups or websites except when we feel that the group or site is exceptional enough that excluding it would be detrimental to our users. The SWG moderators and Reference staff reserve the right to decide which for-profit or subscription-required groups meet this criteria.
In addition to the eligibility criteria above, contributors to the SWG Yellow Pages should be aware that:
- The moderators and Reference staff of the SWG reserves the right to make decisions regarding a group or site's inclusion in the Yellow Pages. We are not obligated to list any group, even if it meets the eligibility requirements listed above. We reserve the right to remove a group or edit its entry at any time. If a listing was submitted by the group's owner or moderator, then we will make an effort to contact that person should we need to edit or remove the entry.
- SWG does not guarantee that the information provided for our listing by groups or websites is accurate and does not guarantee that groups or sites have been visited or approved by anyone in our organization. Persons who believe that a listed group violates our Yellow Pages criteria are welcome to contact us, and we will make a reasonable attempt to investigate such claims, but will not guarantee that the group will be removed.
- Groups who wish to be removed from the listing must have their owner or moderator contact the SWG to do so.
- Groups listed in the Yellow Pages are not affiliated with or endorsed by the SWG. In accordance with the SWG Terms of Service, users take full responsibility for any content they encounter when visiting links outside of the SWG. Visitors should always use their best judgment and personal discretion when visiting websites and joining online groups. We make no claims to the accuracy of information presented in the directory, the safety or suitability of any websites linked, and are not endorsing the groups we choose to list.
- All inquiries about the SWG Yellow Pages should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Add or Edit a Group in the Yellow Pages
By submitting a group for inclusion in our listing, you are asserting that you have read and understand our guidelines listed above.
If you wish to update an existing Yellow Pages' entry, you need to only fill out the Site Name field and any fields where you'd like to update the information that we currently have on our site.
Please note that the Yellow Pages will not be automatically updated by submitting this form. Our volunteers will add or update your entry as soon as possible. If you wish to be notified when your entry is added or updated, please note this preference in the Comments field.