The City Over the Mountains by Narya

| | |

Chapter 1

Begun for the SWG Pride challenge. This is a work in progress. My Pride prompt sparked a scene that I knew straight away belonged in the middle of a much longer fic. This is not that scene.

This story begins immediately before another fic of mine, Comfort and Joy, and and will continue on after the events of that fic. You may therefore wish to read that one first, before beginning this.


The air at the tunnel's mouth tasted of starlight. Wind hissed through the mountains and whispered over the Dry River's stones. The thorn thicket cackled and clicked, and the lands beyond slept under snow.

Elemmakil crouched and touched the frozen ground. Come with me, it murmured. Let us run.

He closed his eyes, longing to heed its call...

A memory of ice. Idril, too weak to cry. Turgon, wordless, broken. Ecthelion, held in Elemmakil's arms, half-drowned, eyes full of grief. A wind that would flay them alive – and then, years later, the two of them standing by a lake at dawn. A vow. “I would follow you into Angband itself, whether you asked it of me or no.”  Resignation, resolve. “I will come with you to Gondolin.”

And he would not break his word.

“Elemmakil?”

Laeron. His lieutenant. “What is it?”

“Our relief is here.”

He nodded his thanks and straightened. It was Yule, and each year Turgon took care to ensure that his border guards had at least some time to enjoy the festivities. Elemmakil had no family – not here – but it would be a pleasant enough respite.

Outside the tunnel, the wind still sang. Run. Run. Run.

He turned away and went with Laeron into the dark.


Chapter End Notes

Elemmakil's vow to Ecthelion is from this short piece, which I wrote as a gift for Kenaz. I haven't yet told the story of their time on the Ice.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment