Necessity is the Mother of Invention by MisbehavingMaiar

| | |

Fanwork Notes

A quick drabble about what Arda would look like without Melkor's influence. I'm tempted to file this under "horror". ;)

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The First Music goes off without a hitch; Arda is unmarred, and the Theme goes on and on without one dissonant voice in the choir.  

Major Characters: Ainur, Elves

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 532
Posted on 5 April 2014 Updated on 5 April 2014

This fanwork is complete.

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

Read Necessity is the Mother of Invention

The world is a flat, tended garden; symmetrical, calm, lit by lamps and stars in perpetual twilight. 

Ranges of even mountains flank regular valleys. There are no seasons, no weather but the occasional, pre-ordained storm to water the plants. No life teems but what was put there to begin with.

 

Men are born and die and they feel no particular angst about this. It does not consume their days with worry nor do they strive to be remembered after they are gone. They are content. 

The elves grow and multiply, and then cease to bear children at all, having a stable, immortal population. They build and stay. Their art reflects the beauty of the world, but the beauty of the world is steady and unchanging. It will be beautiful and mild for eternity; why capture it? 

 The tides that trouble the world are fads. Strife is political, mediated, pedantic. The world is mapped to its limits, and so are the heavens. 

The gods move about, singing their perfect songs, smothering whatever is dear to them close to their breasts. All is in harmony; there are only so many harmonies to be explored. 

Underneath the skin of it all, entropy reigns, gnawing the foundations of things. All will fade, all will be folded back into the dark but the incline is so gradual, it is hardly worrisome. Nothing pushes against the pull. Nothing shines the brighter for meeting resistance.

"Do you ever think there might be other worlds out there we could travel to?"

"That seems a lot of effort when we have everything we need on this one." 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Eerie....I think this could definitely go under "horror," haha!

It's interesting to think about what Arda "unmarred" would look like, given how it's lack is lamented...but as you write here, it doesn't seem like a great place to live! For all it's lack of tragedy and torment, it seems like it would also lack delight. Leaving mostly apathy...

Great story! Definitely food for thought here :)