Yavanna's Dream by MisbehavingMaiar

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Author’s note: I finally gave this drabble an ending I’m happy with, just in time for Legendarium Ladies April! :D

____________________

 (Warnings for brief body horror and violence).


Fanwork Information

Summary:

"I multiply. I diversify. I evade. I grow. And if you would subdue me, Gorthaur, you must catch me first."  

Yavanna has a nightmare about her sister, Vana, confronting Sauron and the (allegorical) rise of industry.

Major Characters: Sauron, Vána, Yavanna

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Back to Nature

Rating: General

Warnings: Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 768
Posted on 12 April 2014 Updated on 12 April 2014

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Vana vs. Sauron, or Nature vs. Industry explored through the medium of EPIC AINUR FIGHT SEQUENCES. 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, this is lovely, Wesley!  The imagery is fabulous.  I especially like...

Our smallest Valië grows disparate, vanishing into the thousand dewdrops and curling leaves and buds of the forest, no longer distinguishable as a round face with lavender eyes. A light grey rabbit skids out out of the rushes and thumps a warning, zigzagging away into the trees. 

The Maia breathes deeply and fills his bellow-lungs, reaching a hand into the earth and muttering a Song whose sound is rocks falling and crushing and grinding to dust. Sand piles around his fingers; the earth sinks, flowers choke and smother under the sifting ground, a field of summer grasses becomes a wide swath of dunes. 


The above and plenty of other passages are more poetry than prose, and they unfold in a splendidly cinematic fashion.

As much as I embrace technology and thus am of the devil's own party in that regard, Vána's final words ring true:  in every abandoned factory, in deserted, crumbling parking lots, and from the ground of Chernobyl, life springs anew.

Very well done!

This is absolutely fantastic!! I really love it, especially the ending. It brings to mind many real-life examples of places where people have damaged the enrionment so badly they can't live there, and now are overgrown with folliage.

I really like your characterization of Vana, too. She's being chased but she's not prey. She's non-combative but not passive. It's really intriguing and it meshes really well with the way you depict her as a sort of primal force of nature.  

Great story!!