People of the Ice by Fadesintothewest

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Fëanorians find that their kin who crossed the Ice have been utterly changed. Fingon is utterly changed. All of them are.

This Fingon-centric story is an exploration of Fingolfin's host and the impact of the Grinding Ice on who they became as a people once they arrived to MIddle Earth. They are often portrayed as not being changed much by the Helcaraxë. This story presents a different interpretation, exploring the darker edges of elven psyche. In attempt to reconcile some gaps between canon and the length of time it takes Fingon to go out and rescue Maedhros this story explores why that time elapsed. Get ready for a not so nice Fingon, hardened by the many losses of his People and the betrayal Maedhros.

 

Major Characters: Aredhel, Caranthir, Celegorm, Curufin, Fingolfin, Fingon, Finrod Felagund, Galadriel, Maedhros, Maglor, Original Female Character(s), Original Male Character(s), Turgon

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Erotica

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Incest, Character Death, Expletive Language, Mature Themes, Sexual Content (Graphic), Violence (Graphic)

Chapters: 18 Word Count: 120, 966
Posted on 20 February 2018 Updated on 24 September 2020

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

Morgoth is not supposed to attack during these early years because he sent up clouds of smoke, darkening Hithlum as a result of the sun and moon. I change this in my story. Seems a bit too easy.

Notes: Úmanyar- elves that did not reach the Blessed Realm and behold the light of the two trees.

Unbeta’d. Forgive the mistakes and clunkiness.

Chapter notes: Ondion is the husband of Fingon's cousin. Ondion was a follower of Fëanor, but soon after Fingolfin's people crossed the grinding ice he made peace with his spouse and returned to Fingolfin's encampment to be with his wife and child. 

 

Also, in The Silmarillion, Tolkien states that Fingon did not know that Maedhros had not burned the ships when he set off to save him. I did change this in this story because it would have been a bit out of character for the Fingon I have crafted here to do this without some motivation. 

"Then Fingon the valiant, son of Fingolfin, resolved to heal the feud that divided the Noldor, before their Enemy should be ready for war . . . . Long before, in the bliss of Valinor, before Melkor was unchained, or lies came between them, Fingon had been close in friendship with Maedhros; and though he knew not yet that Maedhros had not forgotten him at the burning of the ships, the thought of their ancient friendship stung his heart. Therefore he dared a deed which is justly renowned among the feats of the princes of the Noldor: alone, and without the counsel of any, he set forth in search of Maedhros."

 

There is a transition to Sindarin names in this story. Some still use Quenya forms, some Sindarin, some both. It seems in keeping with Elves and how names come to them

There is a transition to Sindarin names in this story. Some still use Quenya forms, some Sindarin, some both. It seems in keeping with Elves and how names come to them.

Chapter notes: To follow the path the Elves are taking here follow the interactive map that is part of the interactive LOTR project:http://lotrproject.com/map/beleriand/#zoom=3&lat=-850&lon=1500&layers=BTTTTTT

The Laiquendi names I use here don’t necessarily refer to canon characters.

“And he lived to wield his sword with left hand more deadly than his right had been.” So Tolkien tells of us Maedhros’ recovery from his time in captivity. This is the Maedhros I choose to depict here.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is an extremely intense read. I don't think I have ever seen anyone engaging with the depths of the trauma of Fingolfin and his people and its impact quite like this.

There are truly searing moments here and it was quite a relief to see the underlying bond between them shine through nevertheless.

He was sinewy now, a victim the long famine endured during the crossing of the Grinding Ice, but there was yet power, a power that Makalaurë had never seen in anyone. Indeed, Nolofinwë’s host seemed to possess whatever strange aura the Ice gave them. It was disconcerting.

I like this a lot! Very powerful chapter.