An unexpected journey - getting into the Tolkien fandom by daughterofshadows

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the diving prompt in the Olympics challenge: Experiences in the Tolkien fandom

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A short exploration of my time in the Tolkien fandom: How did I get here, why did I stay, what did I learn.

For the Middle-earth Olympics Diving prompt.

Major Characters:

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Nonfiction/Meta

Challenges: Middle-earth Olympics

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 871
Posted on 29 July 2021 Updated on 29 July 2021

This fanwork is complete.

An unexpected journey - getting into the Tolkien fandom

Contains some mention of upsetting fandom experiences mainly due to arophobia

Read An unexpected journey - getting into the Tolkien fandom

An unexpected journey – how did I get here?

It was my best friend who really got me into Tolkien, the same way he introduced me to so many other things in my life.

It was January, and it was his birthday party, and we watched An Unexpected Journey, and suddenly all the names I had been confused by when I had started and quickly abandoned the Hobbit in book form a year beforehand disappeared.

Now I had faces for all the names that looked too similar for me to keep apart at first.

Unsurprisingly, I read the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in quick succession. The Silmarillion followed as soon as I had found someone who could loan me a copy.

By March I had discovered fanfiction, and after that, my descend happened quickly and painlessly.

 

 

The reasons I stayed – what’s not to love?

Tiny me devoured encyclopaedia after encyclopaedia, always hunting for new bits of knowledge, and Tolkien turned out to be a treasure trove of new lore to learn about. To dig into, to submerse myself in.

The perfect place for a bullied thirteen-year-old to disappear into. I dove right into learning as much as I possibly could.

 

It’s still one of the things I adore most about his books.

There is always something new to discover.

Every time I re-read it, I find something new and fall in love all over again.

 

Reading his books has brought me excitement and joy, frustration and tears. I laughed, I cried, I screamed into my pillow, and I felt the urge to throw things.

The only thing it doesn’t is leave me untouched.

The wealth of emotions his works evoke are also something that I love.

 

I have met some fantastic people through my love for these stories (yes, I mean you, SWG discord, hi!), and talking to them, or reading their conversations, has opened so many new perspectives that I appreciate greatly, even if I don’t always agree with them.

In seven years in fandom there have been some terrible moments and some great moments, and overall, the good experiences outweigh the bad.

 

 

Tolkien fan and queer – the good, the bad and the in-betweens

In the Tolkien fandom, I found a home, a place to rest, and space to grow.

I could figure out who I am, what being queer meant to me as a person.

I find myself reflected in so many characters of Tolkien’s, and especially the Lord of the Rings is such an aro-positive story to me, in general.

 

For once, it is not a romantic couple that saves the day.

For once, the romantic entanglements are not the focus of the story, do not force themselves on me and the plot wouldn’t utterly collapse without them either.

It is fantastic, I love it, and it is what makes Tolkien so deliciously attractive to me.

 

Sadly, finding other aspec-positive readings of Tolkien can be hard to come by, and talking about your own ideas can often be isolating at best, and outright dangerous at worst.

For quite a few fans the suggestion that maybe and especially the popular gay ships in fandom – I’m thinking Sam and Frodo, Russingon, Legolas and Gimli, for example – are aromantic, and thus friends and nothing else, is unpalatable.

You quickly get lumped in with the homophobic fans, who are just as dismissive of aro headcanons, as the queer positive side.

 

So even though aromantic and asexual readings of characters are still queer readings of Tolkien, as supported by the text as any other queer reading, a large part of the queer positive Tolkien fan community does not accept them as such.

Interestingly, in my experience the push-back on aro Haleth or Aredhel readings, for which I harbour more than a soft spot, can be quite a bit less significant. I have ideas on why that might be the case, but their place is not in this text.

 

 

Lessons learnt – the things I take away with me

Tolkien taught me that one queer reading can and will completely oppose other queer readings, even to the point of suffocating fellow queer fans.

He taught me that sometimes you have to dig deep to find the right people for you in the community, because the ones you don’t mesh with have the loudest voices.

 

I learnt about the value of kindness, and that sometimes knowing when to take a break is just as important as continuing to move.

But most of all he taught me that there is always hope. That you can persevere even in the greatest darkness, and that doing something, even when the odds are stacked against you, is always better than doing nothing, because who knows, maybe it will lead to success in the most unexpected ways.

There is value in the small things in life, the quiet pleasures of a good book and a homecooked meal and taking the time to appreciate them is not time wasted, but time well spent.

 

It is those lessons I will keep with me for the rest of my life, and for that I am eternally grateful.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you very much for sharing your experiences! Some of what you said about the text strongly resonated with me.

I am sad to read that you have had bad experiences in the Tolkien fandom as well as good ones, but glad to hear that good experiences with Tolkien have outweighed the bad as much as you say they have!

 

If the good experiences had not been so much stronger and more impactful than the bad, I wouldn't have stuck around, and I think that would have been quite sad.

I'm glad that I stayed long enough to find places like SWG where I feel a lot safer posting things aro headcanons (despite there not being any right now. They're coming. There's just TRSB to finish first...), because the people here are great, and welcoming, and I'm very happy I found my way here.

Really interesting. My own experience of fantasy and sci-fi fandom in the late 70s was so off-putting to women that I didn't realise that communities like SWG existed until recently. Thank you for sharing yours. 

I absolutely loved this. It felt so familiar to me in some ways and so brave and insightful in others, in identifying the ways the texts support aro fans, the way the fandom sometimes does, and the way the fandom also often doesn't.

I had a lot of the same experiences, from diving in deeply at a vulnerable time in my life (though a full decade older than you were!) and feeling that tension in the community--people who made me proud to be a Tolkien fan and people who only seemed to echo the hate I saw/felt in other places in the world--and ultimately building/choosing my own community.

Thank you so much for sharing this. <3