Fawlty Towers by Simon J. Cook

Posted on 14 October 2023; updated on 9 December 2023

| | |

This article is part of the newsletter column A Sense of History.


Fawlty Towers

In the decade following the death of J.R.R. Tolkien in 1973, three academic monographs were published on his art that have since served as pillars of wisdom, founding texts of modern Tolkien scholarship. Each author at some point addressed Tolkien's 1936 allegory of the tower, and together they established what I call "the late-Elizabethan consensus reading" of the allegory, an old-fashioned British division of ages by crown, intended to signal a hope that this age of the world is now behind us. This consensus rests on error and, for half a century, has served to hide the keys to Tolkien's Middle-earth.

This late-Elizabethan consensus marks a curious chapter in the reception of Tolkien's allegory. The lack of historical sense that it betrays was itself a historical phenomenon, reflecting a general retreat from the collective burden of our past in the decades after World War II. The intention of this post is not to explain this retreat but merely illustrate what it looks like, and so indicate what it means to us today, who still read Tolkien. To this end I sample the authoritative reading of Thomas A. Shippey, a professional descendant of Tolkien and a Beowulf scholar in his own right. 

Shippey's classic study The Road to Middle-earth (1982) sets out the kernel of his considered opinion on his predecessor's famous Beowulf essay. In a nutshell, the 1936 essay is held up as evidence that, in the five years or so before commencing The Lord of the Rings in the late 1930s, Tolkien went off the rails—a victim of his own profession, the man began to confuse philological speculation for historical reality.1 This theme of Tolkien losing the plot in the 1930s was then developed in "Tolkien and the Beowulf-poet" (2007), which opens: "Did Tolkien ever wonder whether he might possibly be the Beowulf-poet reincarnated?"2

Now, the conditions in which Shippey can ask this question arise out of his reading Tolkien's lecture through the prism of an academic discipline that was revolutionized by it. "The 1936 lecture is generally accepted as the starting-point for almost all modern criticism of the poem", he explains to the lay reader. Just this conception of the lecture as marking a new beginning in effect divests Tolkien's performance of its context, opening the door to a profoundly confused reading. "Almost all critics now agree, following Tolkien, that [Beowulf] is the work of a literate, Christian, Englishman", Shippey notes. But before Tolkien, Shippey says, it was "common" to read the poem as a Christian reworking of ancient pagan oral tradition. In contrast to this common view, Shippey explains:

Tolkien had a different answer, which he put carefully if circuitously in his 1936 lecture. The problem with this—if one manages to pick one's way through Tolkien's immensely complex and engaging rhetoric—is that it depends on Tolkien's conviction that he knew exactly when the poet was writing, and why, and what the poet was thinking when he wrote. When was he writing? Tolkien says that he will "accept without argument throughout the attribution of Beowulf to the 'age of Bede'" (Essays, 20), that is to say approximately 700-730 AD. There has been much argument about this, and the general consensus at the moment puts the poem as much as 250 years later.3

As a matter of historical fact, in Interwar Britain, it was primarily in the windswept towers on the river Cam on the edge of the Fenlands of East Anglia that folk declared Beowulf ancient oral pagan tradition. These Cambridge scholars provide the local faces of the common "friends" of the allegory, though their ranks are surely swelled at the riots at rock garden and tower by various visiting scholars from Denmark and Germany and the like. The chief of the friends is H.M. Chadwick, Cambridge Professor of Anglo-Saxon, who reads Beowulf as a window on the ancient pagan past, the view out of which he combines with others (later Scandinavian myths, and also Homer) to advance an evolutionary theory of the matriarchal origin of ancient English society and a sociological explanation of the heroic ages of ancient Greece and the old North.

Meanwhile, in Glasgow, in Oxford, and in University College London we find the academic heirs of W.P. Ker: respectable if a little staid, they are declared "descendants" of the Anglo-Saxon poet. Ker and his students see a poem composed by a poet and so deem the poem a single design, albeit a pretty poor one. The considered opinion of the descendants, given canonical form by Ker in The Dark Ages (1904), is that a rare Anglo-Saxon poetic talent was wasted on a thin folktale. 

Tolkien’s allegory of the tower divides the opinions of Interwar British academics into two camps, and the criticism of the criticism that immediately follows establishes that it is Ker and his living representative R.W. Chambers with whom Tolkien is actually arguing. The friends are to be pitied, maybe cured one day of their delusions, but they are placed beyond the pale of sober discussion.

The 1936 Beowulf lecture is an episode in an Interwar British War of the Chairs. For sure, it is easy to recruit a motley crew of  foreign  scholars to swell out the ranks of both friends and descendants, but the allegories of rock garden and tower are set in the British Isles, and a local map is helpful. As a rule, the English Chairs of Oxford and London are in harmony on Old English Literature because Ker, the founding father of the London tradition, was of and remained at home in Balliol College, Oxford, and so the Chair at University College London (UCL) was, even when occupied by his student R.W. Chambers, another Baliol colony in the metropolis. (Don't mistake London for the lesser institution in those days—UCL was England's first modern university, a model for the reformed Oxbridge professoriate represented by Tolkien and Chadwick. Prior to the 1870s, the teaching and research of Oxbridge professors was a national joke as well as scandal.)

In this newly modernized academic England (the Scottish universities were always powerhouses), Oxford and London are natural allies, their Chairs sharing a mutual detestation of the mob of enthusiasts in Cambridge. On this particular occasion, however, the Oxford Professor of Anglo-Saxon is taking issue with the critical verdict of W.P. Ker that is upheld with veneration and memorable rhetoric of his own by Ker's student and successor in the London Chair, R.W. Chambers. 

I take it that all this was moderately clear to most of the audience back on that Wednesday in November 1936 at the British Academy, and not just the Anglo-Saxon scholars in the room. The speaker was clearly attempting a delicate maneuver, one requiring tact and diplomacy as well as intellectual pyrotechnics.

Half a century later and this Interwar map of the local academic scene has vanished from the disciplinary gaze of the community of Anglo-Saxon scholars and Germanic philologists. Caught up in a new dating controversy of his own day, Shippey simply does not notice the pivotal role of Chambers in what Tolkien was up to, and in general fudges the descendants of the allegory, a title the racial connotations of which worries him. The picture of history at ground zero that he draws in "Tolkien and the Beowulf-poet" in effect leaves Tolkien alone in Oxford beset by the mad friends in Cambridge, who have now escaped their windswept towers and taken over the whole world of Beowulf scholarship to make the showdown on the last day of pre-history, when the sun dawned on a primordial daze but, by the evening of that celebrated Wednesday in 1936, the flat world of Beowulf criticism had been made round.

And with the vanishing of the descendants, the mischief begins. Tolkien dates the poem to the "age of Bede" without argument because it is the date established by Chambers in 1921. But Shippey takes Tolkien's declaration that he is not arguing about the date as evidence of Tolkien's conviction that he, alone among Beowulf scholars, can see the truth in a private crystal ball! Something similar happens to the notion of "fusion", which is the term that Chambers, in his lecture at the British Academy in May of 1936, had used to describe the literary monuments of the age of Bede, among which he named Beowulf. Elsewhere, however, Chambers complained that Beowulf was rather confusion than fusion, thereby providing Tolkien a center stage for his assault on the London position, namely the mythical monsters that Beowulf battles, whose genealogy the Anglo-Saxon poet connects with the biblical story of Cain and the subsequent tale of the Flood. Not noticing the origin in Chambers, Shippey takes Tolkien's talk of "fusion" as further mystical babel and evidence of Tolkien's conviction of a privileged connection with the mind of a dead poet.

Here I only touch on my real point, which I will return to in later posts. But this obfuscation of Tolkien's scholarship serves to obscure the art of Tolkien! In effect, Shippey charges Tolkien with apprehending Anglo-Saxon historical reality through a palantír, which is to say that Tolkien's scholarship is deemed to lack rational grounds. Had Shippey actually put his criticism so it would have been helpful, because someone would long ago have pointed out that he was putting the cart before the horse. An Elvish Seeing Stone is of course a scholar's fantasy. One who wishes to survey the depths of time and space and finds the available philological apparatus insufficient to fully realize the desire, naturally turns to the Elves. Shippey's criticism is on the verge of unpacking Tolkien's art as well as his scholarship, but ends up charging Tolkien, a master of both scholarship and fantasy art,  with confusing reality and fantasy—and he smells necromancy in this fantasy.

With the local history vanished, the horror has begun. But the real horror of the 2007 essay is that Shippey only hints at what he really thinks. By the end of his essay the curtain of mysticism has been drawn back sufficiently to reveal that behind "reincarnation" stand racially loaded notions like "gene-pool", "descent", and the native soil of England. But Shippey declines to unpack these notions.

The story takes a final turn (for this post) with the co-edited volume Beowulf: the Critical Heritage (1998), a compendium of the pre-history of modern Beowulf scholarship. Beginning with a long introduction, the volume provides a tour from the first known modern reference in 1700, in the wake of the old poem's rediscovery, down to 1935, the eve of Tolkien's British Academy lecture. From this impressive survey of the pre-history of a modern discipline (a small yet instructive slice of the modern intellectual history of northern Europe), Shippey acknowledges a shameful past, advances our understanding of the wider context of "Beowulf: the Monsters and the Critics", and once again obscures what is actually going on in Tolkien's British Academy lecture:

The most immediate question arising from the account above is a potentially embarrassing one for the history of scholarship: how much responsibility, or guilt, should the early Beowulfians and their colleagues in Germanistik bear for the development of Nazi ideology?4

Tolkien told a story  in which mad enthusiasts who glimpse the primordial Teutonic Forest in the stones of an Anglo-Saxon tower destroy that tower. That was in 1936. Then things got worse, unbelievably so. And only in 1998 are Tolkien's academic heirs talking aloud about the "potentially embarrassing" antics of their disciplinary ancestors? 

The immediate question, to my mind, is why Shippey did not pose his question explicitly of Tolkien back in 1982 in The Road to Middle-earth. Because in retrospect, it is obvious what he was getting at with his suggestion that Tolkien lost his grip on reality in the mid-1930s as he discovered some private artistic gateway that took him out of sober scholarship and into The Lord of the Rings. I quite understand that Tolkien fans wish to talk about Elves and Hobbits free from the shadow of the Holocaust. But if this idea occurs to an academic writing on Tolkien, then sooner or later it will probably occur to other friends of Tolkien, some of whose thoughts may be informed by a sense of history that is not only flawed but also diabolical, and it would have helped to have been prepared.

This 1998 compendium does advance the modern critical reading of Tolkien's "Beowulf: the Monsters and the Critics". Having waded through a lot of antiquated scholarship, and some more of Tolkien, Shippey restates his earlier account of the world before 1936. We now learn of a new international consensus on dating, emerging rapidly after 1900, which by 1933 had won over even German scholarship. This anticipates Tolkien’s account in the earlier version of the British Academy material (published in 2002). From this new reading, Shippey now situates Tolkien’s 1936 lecture against the background of an international consensus arising after 1933 and embodied in a "reigning triarchy" of Chambers, F. Klaber, and W.W. Lawrence, Tolkien’s English friend drawn for our eyes in German and North American company. The London Professor R. W. Chambers, the "best friend" of the original allegory, has finally stepped into Shippey’s picture, yet he appears without Ker and is still not recognized as Tolkien's primary interlocutor. 

You see what has happened here?

Shippey does not like to mention the War when talking of Tolkien, but privately is troubled by what he reads in Tolkien. He is allusive as to his real fears in The Road to Middle-earth but drops hints in "Tolkien and the Beowulf-poet", both of which are aimed at a popular market. But talking as an academic to other academics in his Beowulf compendium as he nears the end of a respectable career as a popular intellectual, Shippey is candid. Not only does he say what he sees, he takes up a well-intentioned editorial stance, proper to a new-Elizabethan Englishman who sets his gaze in resolute opposition to the blinkered nationalist perspectives of his professional predecessors. And of course, this internationalist perspective, if noble, is precisely not Tolkien’s. For his part, Tolkien thought that Chambers made too much of the fact that Klaeber and Lawrence had sided with him over Chadwick and, in his own lecture in London, his focus was simply and solely on overturning the critical judgment of the late W.P. Ker.

Shippey still does not get that Tolkien was talking to his friend Chambers about the spatial metaphor deployed against Beowulf by Chamber's teacher Ker, and drawing the Cambridge Professor of Anglo-Saxon and other friends into the picture to make a point about the potency of the unrecognized art of the unnamed poet.

Works Cited

  1. Tom A. Shippey, The Road to Middle-earth (London: Allen & Unwin, 1982). See p. 16 for the erosion of "the philologists’ sense of a line between imagination and reality", and pp. 36-7 for the particular case of Tolkien in his study of Beowulf, in which the "fusion" that Chambers and Tolkien speak of is misconstrued as a certainty of when and where the poem was composed.
  2. Tom A. Shippey, Roots and Branches: Selected Papers on Tolkien (Zollikofen: Walking Tree Publishers, 2007). The question about reincarnation is on page 1, while the situating of Tolkien against the pre-historic scholarship before 1936 is spun out from pages 4 to 7, before coming to rest on the "fusion" that Shippey deems mysticism and non-scholarly.
  3. Ibid.
  4. Tom A. Shippey and Andreas Haarder, Beowulf: The Critical Heritage (Routledge: London & New York, 1998). My quotation is taken from the Introduction that (all credit to him!) Shippey hosts as a Word document on his Academia.edu page (page 71 in original and 50 on the Word document, the first paragraph of the Conclusions). The report of the newly identified international triumvirate that includes Chambers is found just above, in the section "The beginning of the new consensus".
  5. J.R.R. Tolkien, Beowulf and the Critics, ed. Michael Drout (Tempe, Arizona: Arizona Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, 2002), 105 reflects on the internationalist perspective underlined by Chambers (who was happy especially to have Klaeber come down on his side against Chadwick as to the Christian authorship of the poem).

Editor's Note: The article originally stated that Beowulf: The Critical Heritage was published in 2014; this incorrectly cited the 2014 reprint, and the volume was in fact published in 1998. The article has been corrected to reflect the correct publication date. The original version of the article can be found here.


Hi Simon: I have to admit at the start that I have spent relatively little time thinking about Tolkien's 'Beowulf' essay or the scholarship on it. I am not a medievalist: I often say Tolkien's work influenced my animism and my tendency to write nature poetry as opposed to my friends who became medievalists because of JRRT. I have attended a few of the "Tolkien at Kalamazoo" paper sessions at the Medieval Congress over the years and gathered that there are ongoing fistfights about the "dating" of the Beowulf poem and the writer that are (from my ignorant Outsider's perspective) unlikely to ever be resolved. 

I've read Shippey's books, back when I decided to start writing about Tolkien's legendarium after my first ten years in academia focusing on feminist speculative fiction, and enjoyed some of them, mostly about LOTR. But his work isn't particularly relevant to my areas of scholarship (queer approaches to Tolkien, feminist, ditto, and race/racisms and Tolkien -- all the stuff that makes a few established Tolkien scholars grumpy). I also remember a pretty heated discussion, again at K'zoo, between Verlyn Flieger and Shippey on the allegory/Tower issue -- I cannot remember the details after so many years, but it was interesting to watch from the sidelines. 

Your essay connects with some questions/issues that I think are important overall in Tolkien studies (across all our different period and disciplinary boundaries), specifically the issue of the socio-political (yes, political!)  historical context in which Tolkien was writing. I was reminded of an essay in JTR that a friend of mine published a few years ago:  

Branchaw, Sherrylyn (2014) "Contextualizing the Writings of J.R.R. Tolkien on Literary Criticism," Journal of Tolkien Research: Vol. 1: Iss. 1, Article 2. https://scholar.valpo.edu/journaloftolkienresearch/vol1/iss1/2/

I need to go re-read that and come back and read your essay again. 

The conflicts between litcrit academics at Cambridge and Oxford are something I've read about -- the different theories duking it out about how to approach vernacular literature, and the influence Tolkien and Lewis had on the curriculum at Oxford and on later fantasy writers.  

All this is just sort of floating around in my head: I don't have anything developed enough to be a coherent argument, just the sense that there may be some connections -- and now I have to go tackle to 'to do' list for today and think some more.

Thank you for the post!

Robin 

 

 

Hi Robin,

Thank you so much for responding to this post. It is appreciated. Like you, I am not a medievalist, and like you I have a lot on my plate at the moment. But I have of late read some of your musings in a pocket of the Internet I never knew before - stacks? If I can carve out the time I would like to engage with you critically on some of your notes. But like you, I have a hard time working out how all these new web things work, so it may be a while.

May I point out here that this post above is but one in a series of posts, intended to be read in the context of the series, both what has come before and what is to come after? On Tom Shippy's odd reading of the 1936 Beowulf lecture it is my opinion that the story does not begin to make sense until we have also examined the work of Jane Chance (1979) - to gain a perspective of how Shippy ended up ditching the 1936 lecture and allegory in 'Road' we need to trace his thought over a period of time, commencing with an essay in a collected volume also in 1979, a (vital) review of Chance in (I think) 1980, and then 'Road' (1982).

I worry now that from this one post above a reader might take it that I am identifying Shippy as inventor of what I call the 'late-Elizabethan consensus reading of the 1936 allegory' - but this is not what I mean at all. This preposterous consensus reading - basically the wall of stupid I have hit my head on in Tolkien forums over many years - was the muddle that came out of the meeting of minds of two pioneering academic Tolkien scholars: Chance and Shippy, taking the most wrong-headed bits of what each of them said. My whole take on this is not really focused on these two individual academics circa 1980, although this is the point of entry - the real question that preoccupies me is how everyone else, all the rest of us Tolkien fans, have been so stupid for so long?

Well, maybe I should not use such a term, though it seems to me the right one, and I include myself under the label. But maybe it would be better to ask: How could anyone take seriously the notion of a discipline of 'Tolkien scholarship' founded on the golden rule that Criticism is the mark of a monster? The academics met and kissed the Tolkien fans by proclaiming that criticism - the very engine of the academy - was what was heard from the Mouth of Sauron. Wtf?

But having said all that, I am only interested in the curiously misbegotten consensus of early academic 'Tolkien Scholarship indirectly, or as a secondary issue. What I am really concerned with is reading the 1936 allegory of the tower. I don't think any of these academics have got near to a decent reading, and I believe we have just witnessed a clear demonstration of why.

In my first post in this series, 'Beleriand in Beowulf', ​​I described the 1936 allegory as a tale told in two acts, with the second act - in which the modern 'friends' destroy the tower while the poet's 'descendants' watch on while passing acerbic comments on the builder's lack of sense - is a snare for modern academics. What always happens, always, every time, is that all the academics see the punch-up on the lawn and are captivated - their imaginations caught in fantasies of bitterly disliked colleagues taking the role of this or that barbaric academic vandal in this short story, this queer allegory.

So I commenced the series with the noble intention of not hitting the second act until the stairs of the tower had been climbed. But, to be frank, I saw after the first few that nobody was getting what I was saying and accepted the sordid truth of our world that without the punch-up at the garden party nobody is going to notice. 

So next post I turn to Jane Chance, but then as we hit Yule in December the story takes over the frame in a post titled 'Never Mind the Dwarves.' And then in the New Year, God willing, I really do hope that I can pen some posts on the STONES of Beowulf, the rock garden that Tolkien discovered in Old English verse, which is what this SWG series was always intended to be about.

Hi Simon:  In today's world, fraught with wars and pandemics and climate catastrophe, I'm all about giving people (including myself) as much space as possible -- as I used to tell my students, the internet is there 24/7. I am not!  So when and if there's time, it will be great to talk more, here or at my Substack (it's sort of a blogging network but one that makes it easier for the bloggers to make money though I do not ever plan to require subscriptions for my stuff). I started on it on a whim when I got off Facebook, and am loving it. I still haven't learned to navigate easily and am still discovering features, but that's good for my brain!  My "newsletter" (which is what they call their blogs) is for my Tolkien related stuff (although I define "Tolkien" broadly!) and is called Writing from Ithilien.

Thank you for clarifying that this post is part of a series (I do see that there's a "History" series, and also that I can click on your name, Follow you, and can see all your posts).  I shall go read those as I have time (I'm currently juggling editing two anthologies on Tolkien with real deadlines looming).

Then I'll come back here to talk more, though odds are good I will comment on the posts as well to figure out what I'm thinking as I go along!

 

 

I was reminded of an essay in JTR that a friend of mine published a few years ago:  

Branchaw, Sherrylyn (2014) "Contextualizing the Writings of J.R.R. Tolkien on Literary Criticism," Journal of Tolkien Research: Vol. 1: Iss. 1, Article 2. https://scholar.valpo.edu/journaloftolkienresearch/vol1/iss1/2/

I need to go re-read that and come back and read your essay again. 

Ha! These SWG posts are worked out of a mainly-finished monograph on the 1936 allegory, and Branchaw (2014) is in the biography. One time Sherrylyn and I both published in the same TS volume and we struck up an enjoyable correspondence, and every now and again since I send her an email prodding her to return to Tolkien. But she never takes the bait.

But yes, I took great encouragement from this essay. It seemed to me someone looking at things right, as opposed to the upside-down that was Chance's gift to Tolkien fandom. The only difference that I perceive between our positions is that in my reading of the 1936 Tower I take what Sherrylyn does here all the way, and attempt to emerge out the other side.

Tolkien studies is indeed a small world . . . .I met Sherrylyn on Dreamwidth (where we were both active in the Tolkien online fandom, and loved her work.  And yes, in recent years, she's gone over to another fandom (a German king? ruler? Frederick? sorry, spacing out on names), deep deep into it (she's been learning German). I would love if she did more Tolkien stuff, but I understand that she's following her heart. I do somewhat the same thing (the first ten years I was in academia, I focused on feminist speculative fiction, and then Peter Jackson's film dragged me under, and took me back into Tolkien fandom, and, well, here I am). 

Your comments on Chance's approach/methods vs. Sherrylyn are similar to the argument I made in my bibliographic essay about race and Tolkien scholarship -- there the different methods/approaches tend to drive a lot of the disagreements/misunderstandings (it's not one that I originated -- Elizabeth Hoeim made the same argument in her essay:

Hoiem, Elizabeth Massa. "World Creation as Colonization: British Imperialism in 'Aldarion and Erendis.'" Tolkien Studies, 2 , 2005, pp. 75-92.

I started my English undergraduate degree in 1976: the faculty at my department (all fairly close to retirement) were all trained in New Criticism (which is really OLD criticism, but was the new radical theory when they were in their graduate programs). The method I was taught (they never called it a theory or even acknowledged it was "New Criticism") was that "literature" (and that meant canonical literature, not popular/genre/contemporary literature) was to be analyzed separate from any historical/biographical context (I was frowned upon for reading biographies in my spare time).  I learned a lot about close reading skills. Of course even then "literary studies" was being challenged by "cultural studies" (in the UK and the US, at some universities), with more attention being paid to historical context. The history of scholarship (my partner is a medieval historian; they use "historiography," but lit people I've known tend to talk about "review of [scholarly] literature) is fascinating -- but hasn't always been taught. That's what I liked about Sherrilyn's work -- and about yours here!

And I definitely want to talk more about the issue of scholarship's influence on "fandom" (and what "Tolkien fandom" even means -- that's why I love Dawn's work -- she, and Maria, and a few more, are starting to do some of the real work of asking fans what they think rather than just making generalizations about them as some homogeneous group).  More of that needs to be done in Tolkien studies!

So I was 8 years old when you began your undergraduate studies :) It may well be worth noting, at this commencement of our conversations, that my own training is in everything but English - Economics, History & Philosophy of Science, History. The kind of History that I was trained in is known as 'Ideas in Context' and is usually applied to the canonical texts of political thought - I applied it 20 years ago to a late-Victorian economist at Cambridge and now to Tolkien in Oxford. When I was a student I was taught that this tradition of contextual history began with R. Colligwood, who was in fact Tolkien's colleague at Pembroke. To my mind, those who taught me did not appreciate, but should have, that their own tradition begins also with Tolkien. In fact, I see Tolkien as employing this historical method more cogently than anyone since has ever done (and this because he had more of a handle on the creative side of authorship).

So you must appreciate how ignorant I am from the perspective of your own academic training. I have a vague sense that Tolkien's 1936 essay is deemed a classic of New Criticism, or something. Some months back I did spend a little time reading up on New Criticism. I see that it comes out of the same stable, the same wider culture, and the close reading is certainly vital to Tolkien. But from what I can make out New Criticism is essentially ahistorical - but then some of the old New Critics argued it was just the opposite - as I read more I began to lose hold of what New Criticism is, or was. So I am not sure what to make of the term in relation to Tolkien, if anything. All I am sure of is that Tolkien in 1936 is reading Beowulf in a way that gains literary insight but does so by employing the apparatus (that I today consider) of the (contextual) historian.

I've rarely strayed beyond Middle-earth when it comes to reading Tolkien's works, but reading this article has certainly stirred my curiosity, both about the lecture and about 'Beowulf' itself.

I don't think I've understood most of the finer points of your analysis, but I hope I can come back to it soon(ish) after I've read a bit more around the topic, and understand it better then.

Thank you for pointing me into this direction for new reading material!

Dear daughterofshadows, 

What a lovely comment to receive! Thank you. As an author, I could not ask for more. I say something not at all directed at your words, which are quite free from this mistake, but for others: the only two texts to read here are (a) 'Beowulf: the Monsters and the Critics' and (b) Beowulf, and I would suggest in that order. I am talking as a fellow Tolkien fan (without the Old English) to fellow Tolkien fans, and I say this about the order because it seems to me that Tolkien is first and foremost telling us that we today have almost no hope of glimpsing the wonders of the Anglo-Saxon poem. It truly does require intense specialist study, and no translation can really work (what is required, says Tolkien, is rather a time-machine). So my attention has been directed primarily at the 1936 London lecture at the British Academy (and earlier versions of this material, Tolkien's Oxford lectures on the poem, etc). From close reading of this lecture I do believe I begin to glimpse the wonder that is Beowulf, as also its odd relationship to The Lord of the Rings. But that has been almost a byproduct of simply attempting to read this 1936 lecture (published as an essay by the British Academy - who hold the copyright - before the year was out).

'Beowulf: the Monsters and the Critics' is just amazing! As scholarly essays go, I never found anything better. And the essay contains this truly weird story, an 'allegory' of a nameless poet and nameless modern scholars.

What I have taken as the challenge of this 1936 essay on Beowulf is to identify the relationship of the 'allegory' - the short story of the tower - to the rest of the essay. Tolkien's allegory seems intended as an instance, not quite of the Anglo-Saxon art that Tolkien is studying, but rather an attempt to craft a fit expression of it for our own age.

Anyway, I am getting called away to attend to my young children. Thank you again for the comment and I would conclude with the suggestion that of the entirety of secondary literature on the 1936 Beowulf lecture/essay the only one single thing worth reading is my SWG post of last month on 'The Rock Garden'.

;)

Simon 

I have yet to read Beowulf: The Monster and the Critic, so I can't fully grasp what Shippey's metaliterary criticism is on about. And Shippey and friends' 'Tolkien scholarship' appears to me to be a cliquey meritocracy of sorts, but I'm biased and (thankfully) far from the field. 

As of today, what is the state of "the late-Elizabethan consensus reading"  in English academia? Do you know if its influence reached other parts of the anglosphere where Tolkien is read and studied (Ireland, Scotland, the US, etc.)? Did you, if any, notice differences with scholars from non-anglophone background?

Well, all I can say is that academia is indeed a world full of drama. But thank you for the time you spent to detail the situation.