The Morning Star Shines on Everyone by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Sort of related to the prompts for "asemic writing" and for the use of typography.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Short extracts from Pallando's notebook, mirroring encounters of the Blue Wizards in the East.

Major Characters:

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: Experimental

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 12
Posted on 31 October 2023 Updated on 31 October 2023

This fanwork is complete.

The Morning Star Shines on Everyone

This piece is more of a concept, really. You will probably want to read the (rather long) end notes for explanation.

Read The Morning Star Shines on Everyone

Hail, morning star, brightest of stars, sent to men over middle-earth.

A line of Tengwar 1 (see Notes)

A line of Tengwar 2 (see Notes)

A line of Tengwar 3 (see Notes)


Chapter End Notes

Aiya Earendil elenion ancalima was originally adapted from a line of Old English poetry from the poem Crist I (which itself is an adaptation of a Latin antiphon). The first line in the chapter text above is a sort of medley of the original line and Tolkien's version. I was aiming at a version that might work cross-culturally.

I ran that line through Google Translate three times, once for Mongolian, once for Hindi, and once for Kyrgyz. I took the transliterations from Google Translate and ran them through Tecendil in Westron Mode to output Tengwar and took screenshots. This process is not likely to have produced anything like an accurate translation and transcription and achieving correctness wasn't really the point.

The idea was to try and suggest the Blue Wizards encountering  communities speaking languages not known in the West in their journeys and trying to write them down in a script they knew, with necessary imperfections and errors. I was also trying to suggest that, although Tolkien's take on Earendil is sometimes framed as applicable specifically to the West, other cultures would have seen the Morning Star appear as well and have their own thoughts.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really love this! When Dawn mentioned asemic writing in the newsletter, of course I had to go find out what it was... and it got me so excited! (I realised I'd unknowingly made Tengwar-looking asemic writing in both my Book of Lore manuscript pages!)

Your concept here is just marvellous — I really love (and am in awe of) the way your mind works!

Oh I love this!!!  I will have to read more about asemic writing, but honestly I love seeing anything rendered into Tengwar, it really is a beautiful system!  And anything that ropes in the Blue Wizards is fantastic!  <3