Himring by between_thepages

| | |

Fanwork Notes

I wrote this thinking about Fingon/Maedhros, but the narrator is unnamed and not described in any way and could be just about anyone.

The prompts from the "Experimental"-Challenge that inspired me were prose poetry, first person and unnamed characters.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A visit to Himring, castle in the snow.

 

Major Characters: Fingon, Maedhros

Major Relationships: Fingon/Maedhros

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental, Poetry

Challenges: Experimental

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 202
Posted on 14 November 2023 Updated on 14 November 2023

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Himring

Read Himring

At the edge of the world the snow-decked hills meet the sky, and between them a castle, its grey walls towering overhead in stoic silence.

The icy air cuts into the skin, the cold a dangerous beauty to behold, and yet here I am.

The lord of the castle seldom welcomes visitors on his doorstep, as few are willing to take the long way through the quiet lands.

He will welcome me, for I am what he desires, yet does not dare speak.

His towering form appears in the doorway, hair flaming red like the sun on a winter‘s morn.

 

And I am lost, sinking to my knees in the snow at the sight of him, at the sight of the one I love.

The longing that was aching in my chest has relinquished its hold as the joy takes me.

Takes both of us, if the look on his handsome face holds true.

We meet halfway in the courtyard, his tall form cut short by the height of the towers.

His bulwark against what might lie beyond these lands swallows all, smell, sight and sound, even time itself.

Inside these walls, there is no world, there is only us.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.