Caused Fire to be Set by Narya

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maglor, on Losgar, and what might have been.

Major Characters: Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental

Challenges: Experimental, New Year's Resolution

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 282
Posted on 7 January 2024 Updated on 7 January 2024

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

For the SWG Experimental challenge.  I chose the format 'all dialogue.'

The second speaker here is obviously Maglor.  The first speaker isn't named.  I was imagining my modern day OC, Claire, but it needn't be.  Imagine whoever you like.  

Read Chapter 1

“Maglor. May I ask you something?”

 

“You may.”

 

“If I do, will you tell me the truth?”
 

“I will if I can.”

 

“Your brother. Maedhros. At the end...you wanted to go back and ask for forgiveness. And he wouldn't hear of it.”

 

“No. He would not.”

 

“You told me once you would have followed him anywhere.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“You never said why that was.”

 

“And you're asking me now.”

“I suppose so, yes. If you'll tell me.”

 

“It's nothing you couldn't guess, I'm sure.”

 

“Maglor.”

 

“I'm aware of my name, thank you.”

 

“Is it because of Losgar? You think you should have stood by him then, so you...owed it to him, after that, to do whatever he asked of you?”

 

“I wouldn't put it quite that way. You see, I failed my brother so many times. I did not stop him from going to parley with Morgoth's lackeys. I did not go to Thangorodrim to save him. I could not hold the Gap. Our brothers lost us our allies in Nargothrond; I could neither prevent that nor undo it -”

 

“You weren't there!

 

“I spoke with them, mind to mind.” The way we sometimes do. “They would not listen to me.”

 

“They wouldn't have listened to anyone.”

 

“Perhaps not. But to answer your question – yes, Losgar was part of it. Much of it. I should have stood with Maedhros then. I should have spoken against my father. Who knows what might have been different had I not hesitated? Had I not been so afraid? And after that, to defy Maedhros, to desert him at the end, after all he had lost...no. It was not in me. Perhaps there, too, I failed.”


Chapter End Notes

Bunn wrote a short 'what if' about Maglor standing with Maedhros at Losgar.  It can be found here.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

Narya has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


Oof. So many regrets, and probably too much time to think over what he could or should have done instead.

I did giggle at this part--even without dialogue tags you can hear their tones:

“Maglor.”

“I'm aware of my name, thank you.”