The Holy or the Broken by Independence1776

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This is not my usual form of self-indulgence, but I’ve had the idea for months and after what happened on Saturday, I needed to write it.

The title is a partial quote from Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah.” I managed to work in the Medium prompts from the Matryoshka challenge.

Many thanks to Raiyana and Janeways for the beta!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Nerdanel finds Maglor on a Florida beach.

Major Characters: Maglor, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: B-Movie

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 687
Posted on 31 October 2018 Updated on 31 October 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Well, this was certainly a surprise! Awww! What a heartwarming story. Much better than a B-movie. I needed a feel-good story tonight. Also got a kick out of reading the only phrase I know in Hebrew: "Barukh atah Adonai, eloheinu melekh ha-olam, etc."

I rather like the timing of its publication also. 

A really nice take on Nerdanel! I like Maglor's wondrous smile and that lovely final scene. Also a neat idea about the Kinn-lai leaving for Valinor in 1492.

(Aside: I'm sort of wondering whether they sing "Morenika" in Valinor, because I'm fond of that song.)

And what a beautiful prayer or blessing!

Thank you!

Re: neat idea. Well, the Kinn-lai would have been perfectly happy to stay in Spain… but when the choice is leave, convert to Christianity, or die, they left. Actually, thinking about it, their choice was leave or die; the Inquisition would not have seen them as human, but as agents of the devil.

(I don't know; I've never heard of that song before.)

It is!

Follow-up comment: I meant that 1492 would explain neatly how you would have a Jewish diaspora in Valinor--not at all meaning to imply that "neat" would apply in any way to the events in 1492 in Spain!

I was first introduced to the song "Morenika" (or "Morenica") in a concert of Sephardic (Ladino) songs from Spain, hence the association (apparently it's also called "La Morena" or, in Hebrew,  "Shecharchoret"). I have since heard it from a number of singers.

Here it is as sung by Mor Karbasi on YouTube, with a translation of the text below.

Sorry this is a little late. I've just remembered you posted something on tumblr.

This was lovely! Nerdanel turning up to bring him home. For a moment I thought he was going to turn her down, but it so nice to have him agree, especially after discovering his brother's were reborn.
I love happy endings and unfortunately you don't read that often enough concerning Maglor. But this was a nice change from all the angst normally surrounding him.

I'm sorry to say I'm not at all familiar with the Jewish Prayer that you wrote in the story. I am rather embarrassed as I do have a little Jewish blood, but I know nothing other than that simple fact. It is a lovely prayer though.

Thank you for sharing.

This is lovely! The idea of a Jewish community in Valinor is fascinating. Nerdanel is wonderful, and I really like Maglor's just kind of "ugh, fine" response to the note--and then his surprise to find out who really left it! And the ending scene is just wonderful--I love happy reunions, and this one is really delightful.

I have been meaning to read this since you posted it, and kept putting it off. After an unexpected trip to Florida I figured it was finally time.:) 

Anyway, I really enjoyed this fic. I really liked you having Maglor aquiesced to modern life-and with friends and a house and all. It’s an idea I don’t see too often- it tends to be either returned to Valinor, or wandering the shores in mourning for all time, which, to be fair, is what the story says. But I see no reason to believe after all that time he wouldn’t need a house of some sort, as “just wandering” is a nice idea in writing, but in practical detail could prove difficult. I’m not sure what I’m saying, my point is I liked your idea. 

I also liked Maglor being Jewish. It does make me wonder the circumstances behind his(and Nerdanel’s!) conversion. Did you have any idea in mind as to the when and why of that?

And I loved the inclusion of the Shehechianu. It is possibly my favorite prayer, something about it really speaks to me. It is one I hold close to my heart, so to see it used in such a way in the story was rather fun.

As for any sort of criticism, the story felt perhaps a bit too lighthearted for being about facing eternity and seeing family for the first time in thousands of years and leaving behind people and places you’ve known for so long, forever, even if it does mean returning to a long ago home. (Although perphaps it’s not so permanent and uncrossable if Nerdanel was able to return?) I feel that the emotions involved would be a bit more complicated.

I am not suggesting you change it, as I like the feel of what you wrote, so it’s not a criticism exactly, just a comment. I may also have been projecting some of my own emotions and thoughts, as it touched on things that I’ve been thinking about, and thus it may be more about that than your actually story.

Anyway, this is getting to be a long-winded comment. What happened last Saturday was awful, and there isn’t really anything I can say about it. It just feels sort of helpless. All the same, “the road goes ever on,” and the best we can do is continue living I suppose.

Thank you!

I honestly tend to assume that Maglor settles down for a bit and then moves on. Him perpetually wandering is really something that I see him doing for the Second and Third Ages.

Maglor's conversion happened around 60 CE, before the Second Temple's destruction. Nerdanel's, well, I honestly didn't put that much thought into it.

Well… this was specifically written as self-indulgent fluff. The eternity and family stuff are things I deal with in my other Maglor-returns-to-Aman fics. I was not in the mood for anything heavier.

Living, I think, is the only thing we can do. Anything else is letting the terrorists win.