Does the SWG accept work rated for adult audiences?

In general, yes. All ratings and genres are acceptable, and we ask only that our members appropriately rate their fanworks and include warnings when necessary, or select Author Chooses Not to Rate and/or Author Chooses Not to Warn. Please see our ratings guide for more information on how to rate your fanworks.

The only exception concerns visual artwork. In order to comply with our webhost's Terms of Service, we cannot host some types of images. The following types of images are not allowed on the SWG archive:

  • Graphic depictions of sexual activity. This would include any artwork showing contact with a character's genitals.
  • Sexualized nudity. This would include any artwork where a character's nudity is shown as part of a scene involving arousal of that or other characters, or where the nudity is intended to arouse the viewer. "Artistic" nudity or nudity as part of nonsexual situations (e.g., breastfeeding, bathing) is acceptable.
  • Sexual situations involving underage characters. In the context of Tolkien's world, this would include any character who has not yet reached adulthood. Sexual situations would include sexual kissing, touching, or any situation involving arousal of a character or intended to arouse the viewer.

Artists have the option of uploading a thumbnail of their artwork. Thumbnails must be appropriate for all audiences and cannot include nudity or blood/gore.

If at any time you are not sure how to rate your fanwork or if an artwork/image is permitted on our site, do not hesitate to contact our moderators.

20 August 2022