The Scent of Old Books by downtide

Fanwork Information

Summary:

This is a modern-setting AU featuring Maedhros and Fingon, the spawn of a plotbunny I swiped from Lalaith. The setting is not named but it is actually based on Lincoln, England. There is indeed a cosy second-hand bookshop on the hill leading up to the Cathedral, but it is owned by neither a red-haired elf nor a lady named Edith.

Names: All in Quenya as usual. My Maitimo muse is a snob and he will not permit the use of Sindarin names.
Maitimo ('Timo) = Maedhros
Findekáno (Káno) = Fingon
Atarinkë = Curufin
Ambarussa = the twins, Amrod & Amras.

Major Characters: Fingon, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 139
Posted on 11 March 2010 Updated on 11 March 2010

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I had the privilege of podcasting this story for the November newsletter and wanted to let you know that I enjoyed the experience immensely. Anuhealani very kindly sent me a little MP3 so I could hear the names pronouced, fortunately, or I would have butchered them even worse than I've done, but I adored the visuals in the story, of the book store, and the winding streets up to the cathedral.

 

You really had me going though, with the scent of old books.  I was on that trail for the first - oh, half a dozen times I read the story.  It wasn't until the 3rd editing go round that I realized who the author of the book in the story actually is!  My mind - set up by the scent of old books - was entrenched in the idea that the main character was the author of the book he kept rereading over and over again.  It was such a burst of pleasure to realize the pivotal point of the story, that I had to share the experience.  Otherwise, I'd be too embarrassed to have missed it that many times! 

I love the subtly of it.  Great story and a very great pleasure to podcast it.

 

tanis