Uldor by Himring

Fanwork Information

Summary:

This is the story of the unequal friendship between Maedhros and Uldor and its bitter end in betrayal and death, told from Uldor’s point of view.

It does not say anywhere that they were friends that I know of, but it seemed a reasonable explanation to me of what happened before Nirnaeth Arnoediad. Otherwise, wouldn’t the sons of Feanor have to have been a bit slow on the uptake or the sons of Ulfang fiendishly clever?

Like the rest of the series, this is, strictly speaking, Maedhros/Fingon, but it is possible to ignore that aspect of it (Uldor himself never guesses), so I’m not marking it.

This story has been nominated for the MEFAs 2010 by Angelica and won Third Place in Races: Cross-Cultural: General. Thank you very much to Angelica and to everyone who reviewed it for the MEFAs!

Now illustrated by the wonderful Alasse:

http://alasse-mirimiel.livejournal.com/20692.html

Major Characters: Borthand, Caranthir, Maedhros, Maglor, Uldor, Ulfang, Ulfast, Ulwarth

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General, Het

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Mature Themes, Sexual Content (Mild), Violence (Graphic)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 6, 572
Posted on 27 March 2010 Updated on 27 March 2010

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thought I'd post my MEFA review here.  A story that gives us a sympathetic view of a villain. It captures how misunderstanding, plotting, and manipulation could lead to tragedy and how one young man becomes the unwitting pawn in the game between the Feanorians and the men who betray them in the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. I'm very impressed with how strong Uldor's voice is and the fact that I sympathize with him almost up until the end. The final scene of Maglor tearing through the battle to exact revenge is just amazing.

Now you've gone and made me feel sorry for Uldor! As an outsider to both his people and (of course) the Eldar, it would make sense that he wouldn't be able to make a firm stand once his brothers had gained leverage on him. As I only read this after reading "Left Behind", I knew that something good would come out of this for Ulrica, at least, but that didn't make Uldor's story any less sad. When realisation dawns on him just before his death, that was a really heart-breaking moment.