Helevorn: Consider Water by Himring

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Noldorin prince attempts meditation technique.

Obviously not for purists, although I'm sure the Noldor were capable of coming up with such things without Buddhist influence.

Mature Themes: meditation can be a somewhat hazardous business.

Major Characters: Caranthir, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 405
Posted on 6 November 2010 Updated on 6 November 2010

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

In this story arc, the reason for Caranthir's volatile temper is that he is a stronger telepath and empath than is necessarily good for him. This is originally a Felak-verse concept, of course. My version of Caranthir tends to cope less well than Dawn's does, though.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Caranthir has been having quite a tough day. He's been forced to remember all those things he doesn't want to be thinking of right along with Maedhros, for hours. He's feeling all sorts of things, including concern for Maedhros. Since his usual bad temper is a form of self-defence, you could say his defences have broken down at this point...

Thank you very much for reading and commenting!

Oh, poor Carnister,  the world is really so overwhelming as it is, without having to experience others emotions as his own as well... I really catch a glimpse of his younger self here,  and empathise. I guess he's lived long enough by now to realise its not always his feelings he's experiencing, but still, it's a major achievement to be able to tell his brother that he's had enough from him.

And of course, Maedhros, as ever, wrestling with his past and his part in it, I can't help but want to envelop him in love...

 Another interesting and unique perspective.

Thank you very much!

I've written a snippet of a conversation between these two, elsewhere (only posted under lock on Dreamwidth so far), which also tries to explore their difficulties, post-torture: Carnistir perceives how much Maedhros is still suffering more clearly than anyone else, but he can't really help, because just being so close to all that without losing his own mind takes up most of his strength.

Not strictly canonical, of course, but originally inspired by Dawn's Felakverse!