Lalme, Alalme by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The title consists of two forms of the Quenya

word for 'elm'. I imagine Treebeard would like the sound they make together...

 

Quill and inkwell

MEFA banner by Ellynn

Smaug Badge by Aranel Took

 

Smaug's Treasure banner by Aranel Took.

 

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The destruction of Beleriand after the War of Wrath--and an unusual refugee.

Written for the Season of Change challenge. It struck me that there was one piece of writing that perfectly fit this challenge already--and it had been written by Tolkien himself, but was not in the Silmarillion. I mean Treebeard's song in Two Towers, of course. This story is partly a re-write or remix of that song, in prose and from a rather different vantage point. The Ent in this story is Treebeard (or Fangorn) himself, but he didn't think about himself as Treebeard at the time.

This story was originally written for Dawn's (and "Eli"'s) Create for Life project (12-14 November 2010).

Warning for extreme violence to trees, exerted by natural forces.

Kindly nominated for the MEFAs 2011 by Dwimordene. It won Second Place in the category "Other Beings: General" and also a "Smaug's Treasure" award.

Major Characters: Ents, Treebeard

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Season of Change

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 687
Posted on 12 November 2010 Updated on 12 November 2010

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


It is so sad to read this! I mean, there is just one or two short lines in Silmarillion that Beleriand was sunken, and a reader goes on and probably doesn't give much attention to it, as other things follow in the book. But to read this - to actually see and feel how all those places and living things are being destroyed - it is heart-breaking. :(

Beautiful story, well written.

Treebeard's song in the Two Towers describes how much he loved those places and how beautiful they were. You can feel his regret for their loss, but even according to Entish reckoning long years have passed since the end of the First Age by the time of the War of the Ring. I was thinking that at the time of their destruction his grief must have been much more immediate. 

Thank you very much for  reading and reviewing!

Different from what I was expecting, but I really liked it. I agree with the review below: the drowning of Beleriand, and what it entailed for the flora and fauna there, is not something I ever paid much attention. I cheered at the end as I was sure the elm was going to die.

Liked how you inserted parts of the poem, and how you added mentions of people who lived in those places… I felt it helped to drive the point that they were all gone across.

I'm glad that you're not disappointed, even if it wasn't what you expected! And it's great to hear that you cheered for the survival of the elm!

I guess by mentioning the people I was cheating slightly, as far as the Entish point of view goes--I'm not sure how much Treebeard would have known or cared about Aegnor and Andreth, for instance. But he does like Elves, after all. And certainly all those past associations would have meant a lot to the Elves who had to flee Beleriand at the same time, either for Tol Eressea or for Lindon...

What a creative idea and illustrated in an equally wll written story. I have not seen many stories about Ents, but I like the perspective of Treebeard here. This is fantastic and I only wish it was a bit longer because I njoyed it so much. I like how you described the destruction, so poetic and tragic all at once.

This was an effective, wrenching story.  Treebeard's song is my favorite of Tolkien's poems and I find it delightful that you've expanded on it in this way.  It's one thing to know, in the broad epic sense, that Beleriand was drowned, and another to see it in vivid detail with reference to both the song and to historic events.  Nicely done!

Himring this is utterly heat wrenching. The sinking of Beleriand is one of the incidents in Silmarillion that in completely glossed over - but it is so sad. All those years of work put in by so many people, all the blood, sweat and tears shed for that land, all the pain, joy, hope and fear that it encompassed, lost forever under the sea. 

And then to read this, to actually see and feel every one of those moments, to imagine the agony of those beings - it was enough to reduce me to tears. I think that, he must have carried that grief with him through the ages of the world, but the edges, gradually blunted by time.

The way you used the poem in comparison to the sinking of Beleriand was beautiful and that you used this poem, even more so. Ents get very little recognition in the Silmarillion - it is so easy to forget they were there as well, along with the elves, dwarves and men.

Once again, a gorgeous story, very well written. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you very much, Elvewen!

Yes, the more I write about Beleriand, the more heart-wrenching I find it myself that all those beloved places are broken and drowned. And I'm not an Ent and I haven't even set foot in any of those places! For Treebeard, it would have been a lasting grief, just as you say.

I'm glad my approach worked for you!

 

 

While she usually writes about the Feanorians, or Maedhros and Fingon in particular, Himring definitely shows that she is able to get into the heads of a great many characters, not the least difficult being the esteemed Treebeard himself.

Building on Treebeard's Song about the Trees of Beleriand, Himring draws on the events of the War of Wrath and the gradual, terrible destruction being wrought to Nan-tathren, Dorthonion, Neldoreth and Ossiriand. In a very entishly drawn-out fashion, she weaves in the history of these places, while at the same time narrating Treebeard's attempt to help a single elm escape the cataclysm. The gradual buildup and interchange of destruction with narration makes for a very compelling rhythm, the language is spot on, and all that together makes this fic ripe with impending doom, almost like a countdown. The note of relief toward the end becomes all the more palpable when the elm finally begins to wake and react to Treebeard's narration, and the tree-hugging part of me had to swallow a lump in her throat at the end. As one of the other reviewer said, emotional storytelling involving trees... quite a feat!

A fantastic story, and I'm very, very sorry that I didn't read it any sooner. But thank goodness for B2MeM! And thank Himring for writing this!

Thank you very much, Elleth! I'm honoured you picked this story for your B2MeM review and glad to hear that it appealed to the tree-hugging part of you as well on other counts!

Your reviews are always so lovely and insightful, they make me want to frame them in mithril and ithildin and hang them over my bed.

Keiliss pointed me this way after a discussion about the sinking of Beleriand.  

It makes me shiver, reading this.  Powerful words, and images you've conjured...and so sad.  So much lost.  The little details killed me as well -- the Laiquendi leaving behind posessions to carry a sapling.  The willows in brackish water and then swept away.  You make it very vivid and real.  It wasn't just an event.  It was a way of life, and lives, that were lost and never will come again (ok, maybe Arda remade, but still!). 

You bring home the disaster and the loss in a very personal way that just left me gutted.  I've always had a love for the less-seen characters in the Silmarillion, and this...well.  This is just beautifully heartbreaking.  Well done!