Toys in the Hall by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

2011 MEFA nominee--thank you, Dreamflower! :)

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Young Ereinion once sent his father Fingon to bed for a week with a poorly placed toy and learned much about his father as a result. Now, with Fingon dead, his people at war, and his world upended, Ereinion tries a similar tactic to learn something about his new foster-father, Círdan. Remix of Levade's This Ereinion, written for the Many Paths to Tread 2010 Remix Challenge. 2011 MEFA nominee.

Major Characters: Círdan, Fingon, Gil-galad

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 794
Posted on 3 October 2010 Updated on 3 October 2010

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I like this a lot. I have to admit that I am particularly interested in the characters and the settings--Fingon and Gil-galad and what it must have been like to have been sent away from such a father to dwell among strangers during such dark days. You capture Gil-galad's sense of loss and displacement, but more significantly his will not to be merely a passive survivor, but an active factor in fitting into and engaging with his whole new life.

Thank you, Oshun! I have to admit that I was curious what you'd think of this story; they are much more your characters than mine. :) I was in unfamiliar territory. In posting to DW/LJ, I had never even tagged a story with Ereinion or Cirdan, despite well over 100 Silmfics posted there, counting all the ficlets. I loved the detail in Levade's original about the toys in the hall and how she used that to shape Cirdan's perception of Ereinion and also of having a child generally. Of course, I had to manipulate it into something intentional and psychological, but she doesn't seem to hate me (at least publicly) for the mutilation done to her lovely and lighthearted story. ;) Thank you for reading and especially for commenting--and so quickly! :)

I've now got around to reading Levade's story as well. The concept of "remix" was a new one to me, until you recently discussed it on the Heretic Loremaster site, so I'm wondering how typical this is? The scene you picked is a striking one in Levade's story, but quite brief. The way you've handled it, your story and Levade's are, in fact, compatible, I think--Cirdan and Gil-galad could still sort themselves out along the lines that Cirdan envisages by the end, although Gil-galad's expectations are sadly now very low... I don't think Levade's story is all that light-hearted either, with its description of Gil-galad huddling forlornly in Fingon's cloak.

Such considerations aside, I like the way you show Gil-galad's almost scientific, experimental approach here. Despite his misery, he seems to exhibit the logic of a child at the same time as, possibly, the instincts of a future ruler?

This was my first remix, and I've never known any other groups I've been a part of to have a remix challenge. So I'd say it's not too common, at least in my neck of the Tolkien fandom woods. :) Other communities/fandoms might be very different.

I'm glad you found the stories compatible, as that was a big worry of mine; I am not very good at writing cheerful stories, and most of Levade's work was more light-hearted than mine, although, as you note, with some shadows at the edges. This was my first time writing these characters, too, in any serious sense, except for Fingon, so I'm pleased that they worked for you too. Thanks so much for reading and commenting! :)

This was absolutely beautiful, as your stories usually are.

I have not been around much lately to let you know this, though. But I haven't disappeared off of the face of the earth. I've just been incredibly busy with life and school. :) Here I am, though! Prepared for more Silmarillion mischief and art.

What I found so incredibly wonderful about this story was that it viewed the happenings through the eyes of a child, and it was very clear - at least to me - that he knew more than the adults gave him credit for. So thank you for sharing :)

It's good to hear from you again! :) I've also dropped off the face of the Earth thanks to school and work. Writing this story was one of the fannish indulgences I allowed myself last fall.

I'm glad that you liked the story and thank you for leaving a comment! :) It was an interesting experience, writing a remix, although I have always liked Levade's work, so it was certainly an enjoyable one. When I read her story "This Ereinion," her Cirdan struck me as such a strong but demanding character. I couldn't help but think, if he was having trouble adjusting to his new role as Ereinion's guardian, what must have been going through poor Ereinion's mind. The story flowed from there (although Levade's original was so light and gentle, and my remix ended up much grimmer. Of course. :^P)

Thanks again, Beatrisu! :)