A Light from Afar by Erulisse

| | |

Fanwork Notes

 

Disclaimer:  Tolkien built the sand box; I only play with the bucket and shovel that he left for me.  No money, profit or non, is made from the publication of this story.  

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A series of drabbles centered around the theme of different types of light and featuring Earendil and Elwing.  I hope that through these small stories some light may be cast on the personalities of these characters.  

Major Characters: Elwing, Eärendil

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 9 Word Count: 981
Posted on 10 November 2011 Updated on 30 December 2011

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

It is written that Eärendil pleaded for the intercession of the Valar against the evils of Ennor and gained entrance to the ears of the Valar by bearing one of the lost Silmarils.  What was the reaction of the Valar to his plea and why does he sail the midnight skies above Middle Earth?  A response to the prompt:  “moonlight”.  

Eärendil tells Elwing about the task he has been assigned by the Valar.  A response to the prompt “candlelight”.  

Eärendil has been given the task of sailing the dark skies nightly to bring hope to Ennor.  He hopes that from his high vantage point he can find some sign of the whereabouts and wellbeing of his twin sons.  A response to the prompt “firelight”.  

Eärendil explains that the boys are cared for by kinslayers and he checks up on them again.  A response to the prompt:  twilight.  

Eärendil remembers his youth in Gondolin and his love of the stars.  A response to the prompt “starlight”.  

Viewing the torches at Vingilótë’s dock brings back memories of Eärendil’s quest to find Valinor.  A reply to the TW prompt “torchlight”.  

Eärendil has lived with light next to him by both day and night for many years now.  But sometimes darkness can be soothing rather than threatening, and his desires turn towards the succor of darkness.  A response to the prompt “darkness”.  

 

In response to the prompt “Sunlight”, a look at the battle for the skies during the War of Wrath as experienced by Eärendil and Vingilótë.  

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


The gem he had returned to the Valar was poor recompense for his family’s sacrifice. 

Oh, this line in particular was interesting. I liked this new perspective of Earendil as a father and husband first and a "chosen one"/emissary second. That's obviously not something we see in the Silm.

One thing, though, "thine brow" should be "thy brow". :)

I appreciate your words and your approval of my focus on Earendil, a character who often gets maligned a bit for his "desertion" of home and family.  

I was uncertain about the Old English, but actually did look up the usage and thy/thine are interchangeable and dependent upon preference of the writer.  I chose to use thine in this particular usage.  

Goddess Bless...

- Erulisse (one L)

Well, I have the knowledge of the telescope already present.  I had Helyanwe making one for Idril a few months ago in a story.  So it seemed likely that it was something she learned when she was apprenticing with Lord Aule and that he could give such an item to Earendil.  After all, if you were flying above lands that you used to know, wouldn't you want to take a closer look?  LOL.  Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated as always!  

- Erulisse (one L)

Perhaps.  I doubt he will be able to see them every night.  There will be clouds, the pathway he may take may need to be varied, and Maedhros and Maglor probably move often to avoid being discovered.  But I do think that he feels more relief at having his sons in their care, with a dash of common sense.  The two kinslayers probably are fairly conversant with how to take care of young boys having had so many younger brothers that they undoubtedly helped care for while they were growing up in Tirion  

- Erulisse (one L)

Thanks, Ellynn, I am quite fond of the stars (as are you, if I recall correctly) and can just imagine learning all about them as a young child.  Then, having the opportunity to sail among them would be marvelous.  But Morgoth lurks in the North and he was responsible for the death of his mother and his city.  It was Earendil's coming to the Valar that started the machines of war in Aman and, indeed, they will bring war to the gates of Angband.  Thank you so much for your words :-)

- Erulisse (one L)