The Great Tales of Beleriand: Definitive Edition by Chilled in Hithlum

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The usage of 'Present Day' at this point refers to the third year after the Dagor Bragollach, any changes beyond this will be made apparent by the author...

The use of square brackets [] denotes action in which dialogue may or may not take place: this is left solely to the reader's discretion...

The term 'Voice of' relates to a narrator or a beast/unbodied presence using non-verbal communication, eg. Thorondor...

Fanwork Information

Summary:

This story is inspired by the turning-point chapter (18. Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin) where so much happens and in which so much goes unexpanded.  Of course prior to the occurences in this chapter much has already taken place, and there are allusions to past events as published in The Silmarillion and other works.

Major Characters:

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Script/Play/Screenplay

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 12 Word Count: 56, 092
Posted on 26 December 2011 Updated on 7 January 2014

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

This takes place during the sojourn of Hurin and Huor in Gondolin: the Sons of Galdor have forged a friendship with their instructress Idril, daughter of King Turgon.  They embark on a mountain trek but their actions are frowned upon thanks to the princess's ever-present and meddlesome cousin Maeglin.  The day concludes for him with an unexpected and unconventional encounter...

I give this chapter in two parts mainly because I like their names and feel that they go well together!  There is also a narrative between the two which centres on Finrod and Galadriel (who serves as narrator); but the main thrust of this chapter centres on the devastion and aftermath of the Dagor Bragollach - hence the titles...

This chapter takes its first major diversion from my previous work in that it takes its lead not from The Silmarillion but rather The Shibboleth of Feanor in HoMe 12; which, to this reader at least, offers a far more logical account of the line of the High Kings, assuming of course that the Elves operate a patriarchal society!

All conjecture aside, We follow events before and after the Sack of Minas Tirith... focusing mainly on the relationships between Orodreth, Finduilas and Gwindor.  Oh and there is a good measure of evil doing here too!

In the aftermath of the Fall of Minas Tirith the surrounding lands are hard put to it.  There is great aprehension across the whole region as the war machines of both Morgoth and Sauron prepare unmolested for the final hammer blow and the end of the free northlands...

This is quite a long chapter taking place during and after Morgoth's assault on the Northwest after the capture of the Pass of Sirion some time before...

Húrin and Huor are rescued by Thorondor and brought to Gondolin; whilst on the following day Voronwë returns there after the disaster of the first attempt to sail into the West in order to gain the pardon and aid of the Valar...

When partners do not communicate fully there is misunderstanding, this is especially true of old married couples...

Such an occasion arises when Thingol and Melian receive a guest...

Here we look at the master/servant relationships between Morgoth/Sauron and Sauron/Draugluin.  I have invented my own origin story here for Thuringwethil mainly because I have seen no other...

Indeed any pointers pertaining to the Vampire Lady other than in the Silmarillion would be gratefully recieved...

 

The following takes place in Dorthonion during the same time period as the previous chapter.  Here we look at the hopelessness of Barahir's plight but focus mainly on the decisions of the unfortunate Gorlim and how one choice made in deceit, no matter how futile as it turns out to be, can lead to mistrust between friends...   

A brief episode of motherly and brotherly concern...

This chapter looks at relenting and return insomuch that both Sauron and Turgon deal (respectively) with the coming and going of those under their authority... 

It is a dangerous thing to dismiss a niave girl; for once she has a willing audience who will listen, who knows what she might say?  

Sauron offers a prisoner the chance of 'escape' from Tol-in-Gaurhoth...


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.