The Great Tales of Beleriand: Definitive Edition by Chilled in Hithlum

| | |

Part Five: The Waiting

In the aftermath of the Fall of Minas Tirith the surrounding lands are hard put to it.  There is great aprehension across the whole region as the war machines of both Morgoth and Sauron prepare unmolested for the final hammer blow and the end of the free northlands...


THE GREAT TALES OF BELERIAND

PART FIVE: THE WAITING...
 

Voice of Emeldir: "Grievous was the establishment of Sauron's Isle, Tol-in-Gaurhoth, that he built upon the ruins of Tol Sirion; for that place once fair become accused, an abode for wicked creatures and a spy tower for Morgoth..."

[Sauron surveys the lands about him from his tower, Orcs and Wolves patrol the Pass of Sirion...]

Voice of Emeldir: "The free peoples of that region were ruthlessly pursued for the sport of Orcs or elsewise taken into slavery..."
 
[Various atrocities are committed by Orcs and Wolves: homes are looted and burnt, the young and old are slain whilst strong ones are taken...]

Voice of Emeldir: "And the already tenuous lines of communion between sundered families were severed in his swathe..."

Several weeks after the Sack of Minas Tirith...

Eithel Sirion...

[Fingon grants Emeldir an audience...]

Fingon: "Lady of Dorthonion, it gladdens me to see you so hale; how may I be of service?"

Emeldir: "High Majesty, thank you for setting aside time to see me, your gracious hospitality to my folk has been service enough that can be scarcely repaid; however I am in doubt!"

Fingon: "How so, Lady?"

Emeldir: "Lord several dark rumours abound since the loss of Tol Sirion; my folk and I fear for our loved ones in Dorthonion, moreover, we hear now that the ash fields are overrun and that the passage to our homeland is blocked!"

Fingon: "Alas, the fortunes of war have immersed me for too long and I have been remiss in the proclamation of news; what would you know?"

Emeldir: "Just this: is there another way back for my people, a way home?"

Fingon: "There are no safe ways about the Pass of Sirion at this moment especially not for the procession of womenfolk and children, not even under the protection of my own select guard!"

Emeldir: "Forgive the presumption, Lord, but are there not longer routes south of the mountains, through the Vale of the Little Rivers perhaps?"

Fingon: "Lady Emeldir you spoke of dark rumours: regrettably I must inform you that many of these emanate from those lands, and worse most of them can be confirmed in truth.  Of late news has reached us that many dwellers from the outer mountains have been cruelly slain or taken in captivity to Angband..."

Emeldir: "That is grim news and I am sorry of it; yet, as unfeeling as it may sound, does not this circumstance present us with an opportunity to act fast whilst those lands are deserted?"  

Fingon: "Would that it were so; Emeldir, surely you understand that an occupied folk will resist their invaders in any way possible, many are in hiding whilst others counterattack how they may.  Morgoth knows this and has sent many spies abroad in numbers unknown; therefore, until these emissaries of Angband are wheedled out those lands are quite unsafe!"

Emeldir: "Has there been any news out of Dorthonion since the fall of the tower?" 

Fingon: "None... I am sorry!"

Emeldir: "Then I am bereft of hope..."

[She begins to sob and Fingon rises from his seat of office offering consolation...]

Fingon: "Be not in despair Lady, many have testified that your menfolk are among the most hardy and valiant of all the Edain and my heart tells me that they endure still; besides, was it not your lord who directed you to maintain the security of your people?  That is indeed wise counsel, and in friendship I offer you mine if you will have it?" 

[Still tearful, she nods...]

Fingon: "Emeldir, Lady of Dorthonion, I understand your grief for the burdens of leadership weigh heavily upon my shoulders too; I know the difficulty in setting aside personal woes, however I have also learnt that through being strong for one's own people you will find the fortitude needed to sustain you.  Now, being bound by my own decree I cannot compel you to remain here under my protection though I would urge you to do so; if not for yourself only but the safety of your people!"

Emeldir: "Ay..."

Fingon: "This also I shall pledge to thee: if ever it happens that a way of safety can be found to your homeland and you would be gone then I will ensure you safe passage!"

Emeldir: "Thank you, Lord Fingon!"

[They part in friendship...]  

South Dorthonion....

[Dawn: A young soldier laden with a slain doe across his shoulders enters a small secluded log house under the canopy of the Unscorched-wood; finding it empty he casts off the deer...]

Gorlim: "Eilinel, Eilinel..."

[His wife emerges from a trapdoor...]

Eilinel: "Be silent; are you mad?"

Gorlim: "O Wife, I have missed you!"

[They embrace...]

Gorlim: "I bring glad news: Lord Barahir is anxious to know why there has been so little Orc movement of late and has assigned us permanent stations across the land, I requested the southeast sector and this has been granted!"

Eilinel: "Oh..."

Gorlim: "That means I shall be able to visit you more often, just as you wanted... you are disappointed?"

Eilinel: "No, no that is wonderful news!"

[She kisses his cheek...]

Eilinel: "Well done, Love!"

Gorlim: "You are disappointed!"

Eilinel: "It does not matter..."

Gorlim: "Of course it matters; please tell me, what troubles you?"

Eilinel: "I thought for a moment you were going to say that Barahir had ordered a final evacuation from this godforsaken land and we were going to rejoin our kin..."

Gorlim: "I doubt now that such an endeavour would be possible since the Fall of Minas Tirith; even so it matters not, for while Barahir still draws breath he will not abandon the refuge at Aeluin..."

Eilinel: "Then he condemns us all!"

Gorlim: "Nay there is hope: it appears ever the more likely that the lack of enemy movement is due to the fortification of the Pass of Sirion, there have been no raids for more than a month and only last week did our scouts mark a passing out of Orcs on the western marches..."

Eilinel: "Strange, you told me previously that the Orcs shun Taur-nu-Fuin and are in fear of it..."

Gorlim: "Truly I did, but now they seem to have found their courage; who cares as long they are marching away from us?"

Eilinel: "Evil bodes, I can feel it; Orcs like all creatures of habit and do not suddenly change as one!"

Gorlim: "Perhaps something compels them?"

Eilinel: "That is what I am afraid of..."

Gorlim: "Or perhaps now we are too few for the Enemy to consider a threat; perhaps it is as Lord Barahir says, our long patience may have been rewarded..."

Eilinel: "O Gorlim, I hope you are right!"

Gorlim: "In the end hope is all we have..."

Eilinel: "Alas, mine is failing..."

Gorlim: "Once our survey of the land is complete and we know for sure that the Sewer Rats are gone then I feel sure that you will be welcomed at Aeluin..."

Eilinel: "Rats multiply, so do Orcs!"

Gorlim: "O Eilinel, we have prevailed so far, hold true a just a little longer; I am closer now and better able to supply you with provision..."

Eilinel: "Whilst I am sentenced to endless dark days of waiting under a trapdoor?"

Gorlim: "That is a welcome device, when did you have it fitted?"

Eilinel: "Fitted: and by which amenities, time and necessity perhaps?"

[She holds back her tears in frustration...]

Gorlim: "I am sorry... come!"

[They cling together...]

Eilinel: "We will be together in the end, will we not?"

[Gorlim makes no answer: the young couple remain in each others arms...]

Taur-nu-Fuin...

[Dusk; A heavily armoured figure rides in entourage with a company of Wolves along the banks of the Rivil.  They are met by an Orc nigh to the clearing where the inert wraiths still await their master's will; the Surround that place is now called, due to burnt ring of twelve equidistant wooden stumps that encloses the hapless Elf spirits in Orkish guise whom by the curses of Sauron were rent and rent again by way of the evil taught to him by Morgoth...]

Orc: "My Lord Sauron, what an unexpected pleasure..." 

Sauron: "The pleasure will be all of ours once the western lands finally fall, as surely they soon must when the Dark Lord opens his leaguer again; until then I have come hither to personally oversee the final collapse of the petty rebellion that remains here.  Tell me Captain, how many still oppose us?"

Orc: "Not more than sixty, Lord!"

Sauron: "Excellent some sport, enough to pick them off one by one; so Captain, since my last directive what you discovered?" 

Orc: "Not much, save for their perimeter of operations and the estimate of numbers that I have indicated..."

Sauron: "Do not tell me that you have not followed any of them; do you not know the meaning of stealth?"

Orc: "Your orders were clear, Lord: watch but do not approach!" 

Sauron: "Imbecile, I should put your eyes out with the point of my boot; is there not anything, anything that you have noticed out of the ordinary?"

Orc: "Not that I can recall..."

Sauron: "Your vision depends on it, Captain: think!"

[The Orc racks his brains in a white panic...]

Sauron: "Well?"

Orc: "Per-perhaps some of my troops might know of..."

[Sauron's foot finds the Orc's face, blinding his right eye...]

Sauron: "You have one week to save the other eye, so I would suggest that you do not spend too long nursing your wound..."

[He rides impassively on, leaving the reeling captain in agony on the ground...]

The beleaguered North...

Voice of Emeldir: "The massing Orcs continued their nightly rituals of intimidation and never before did such a pall of unease cover the northlands; those that were able prepared as best they could, for they knew not yet what was to come..."

[Night falls amid threatening chants and drumbeats from Anfauglith.  Those in hiding both Elves and Men erect barricades of divers kinds, gathering together whatever arms are available to them; elsewhere in the forests of Doriath and Brethil the watches on the borders are intensified... and the thuds of doom echo ‘til dawn!]

Eithel Sirion...

[Fingon takes counsel with Galdor...]

Galdor: "It is as we feared Lord!  Other than the encampment at Anfauglith our scouts have confirmed a swelling of enemies beneath the angle of the Wethrin; they are well stocked and in far greater numbers than the fallen tower could ever house..."

Fingon: "Then matters are worse: for surely now it is plain that Morgoth plans an invasion, one of which that even the strongest of us cannot hope to stem." 

Galdor: "You have not heard from Maedhros?"

[No reply...]

Galdor: "Nor Finrod?"

Fingon: "Not even Turgon, my own brother; and even though the Sindar are out in force it would seem that the Noldor have gone to ground, the alliance twixt Thingol and Cirdan is enviably strong!"

Galdor: "Happen so, Lord, but remember this: many of the Noldor and the Edain have been dispossessed of their homes whilst the Sindar sit pretty behind fences of enchantment or remain un-assailed by those that shun the sea!"

Fingon: "That circumstance is not the fault of the Sindar!"

Galdor: "Nay, ‘tis Morgoth!" 

Fingon: "Not entirely!"

Galdor: "The Doom of Mandos?"

Fingon: "Hmm..."

Galdor: "Maybe all this is simply a matter of geography; all routes hither are overrun and the skies must be too dangerous for low flight, indeed I have seen no Eagles abroad for a good while now..." 

Fingon: "I know it: indeed Maedhros must be fully aware of what lies on the dust flats, moreover, if the reports are true and Orodreth did escape then I am sure that Finrod will know all regarding the fall of the isle... and all what that must entail!"

Galdor: "If it be that we are alone then must put our untried faith in the power of the Doriath!"

Fingon: "Doriath and Brethil!"

Galdor: "Ah..."

Fingon: "Yes my friend, I am all too aware that Tol Sirion fell just as your sons were due to return from fostering with their mother's kin; Galdor, you and Hareth must be frantic with worry..."

Galdor: "We are concerned, Lord Fingon!"

Fingon: "Yes: indeed you disguise it well..."

Galdor: "My duty sustains me!"

Fingon: "And Hareth?"

Galdor: "Alas, for her matters are different..."

Fingon: "Ah, I wish that I could release you to her..."

Galdor: "In these circumstances I would not go back nor would my wife restrain me!"

Fingon: "All the more reason to return safely then?"

Galdor: "These mountains are strong, Lord, and I intend to remain within their protection for a good while yet!"

Fingon: "Well said, Friend; so do I..."

The following day...

Brethil: Amon Obel, The Hall of Chieftains...

[A juvenile eavesdrops at a doorway, within two older adolescents are talking...]

Handir: I do not understand it, Húrin, you and I have been on many Orc raids together; so why now are we forbidden from this latest council of war?

Húrin: "Grandpa is wise, I am sure he has his reasons..."

Handir: "He and my father have been at loggerheads of late, they think I have not noticed; matters must be serious..."

Húrin: "Ay perhaps, but for now we need to be patient; surely we shall learn of their plans in due time..."

[An affected voice outside startles them...]

Huor: "Or maybe sooooner..."

Handir: "What: who said that?"

Húrin: "I know... Get in here, Sneak, and tell us what you mean!"

[Huor swaggers into Handir's room grinning broadly, he leans cross-legged against a large oaken wardrobe and casually inspects his fingers...]

Húrin: "Well?"

Huor: "mm?"

Húrin: "Do I have knock you on the head yet again little brother?"

Huor: "Now now there is no need for that, Clunk; no, indeed I am eager to see the look on both your faces when I..."

Handir: "I will do the knocking myself if you do not hurry up!"

[Húrin quietly restrains Handir...]

Húrin: "Ignore him, Handir, he is seeking attention!"

Handir: "Trot on, Little Sneak, the Men are talking!"

Huor: "For one I am taller than you both and second, Sneak you say, well fair enough: although I deem you will call that name a boon since I have managed to gain entry where neither of you could not... farewell then!"   

Húrin: "Alright, you have had your little jest; what do you know?"

[A grinning Huor reaches into his breeches pocket and produces a key...]

The privy-chamber of the Halad... 

[The room is empty, the three youngsters enter and hide away in the base of a large cupboard before the council convenes; the door flies open and Halmir comes in with his retinue, the air is tense...]

Halmir: "Enough of this nonsense, Haldir; now please be seated all of you!"

[He remains standing...] 

Halmir: "Our rangers have received word from Beleg of Doriath that his folk believe the invasion is imminent, this night or the next, and in light of this he has passed along this dispatch from King Thingol himself..."

[He unfolds a letter which reads...]

HALAD HALMIR, LORD CHIEFTAIN OF BRETHIL,

FOR THREE SCORE YEARS AND MORE YOUR PEOPLE HAVE REMAINED TRUE TO THE PLEDGE TO KEEP THE CROSSINGS OF TEIGLIN SAFE FROM ALL ENEMIES THAT WOULD ASSAIL US, WHILST UPHOLDING THE LAW TO NEVER ATTEMPT TO GAIN ENTRY INTO MY OWN REALM.  FOR THIS YOU AND YOUR FOLK HAVE EARNED OUR ESTEEM AND FRIENDSHIP.  IN TOKEN I MAKE NOW MY OWN PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO BRETHIL AND SHARE WITH YOU MY STRATEGY IN THIS THE DARKEST OF HOURS.

IT IS HIGHLY LIKELY THAT THE NOLDORIN ELVES WILL BE CUT OFF IN THE NORTH DUE THE MASSING OF ENEMY FORCES NIGH TO THE FALLEN ISLE, THE RESULT OF WHICH WILL MEAN THAT THE ASSAULT WILL FALL UPON US SOONER THAN ANTICIPATED.  I AM CONFIDENT THAT MY GUARD WILL MAINTAIN OUR SHARED BORDERS AT DIMBAR AND THAT YOUR STRENGTH WILL BE ENOUGH TO DEFEND THE LANDS BETWEEN SIRION, TEIGLIN AND MALDUIN; THIS OF COURSE LEAVES US VULNERABLE TO ATTACK IN THE SOUTH SHOULD THE ENEMY COME ANOTHER WAY THROUGH THE TALATH DIRNEN.  THEREFORE I HAVE ALREADY DISPATCHED TROOPS INTO NIVRIM THAT WILL FOLLOW THE ANGLE OF TEIGLIN AND REINFORCE YOUR COMPANY AT THE CROSSING.  IN ORDER FOR THIS POLICY TO WORK IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE NORTHERN MARCHES HOLD IN ORDER THAT WE MIGHT REPEL OUR FOES INTO THE CONFINES OF THE PASS OF SIRION; OUR BEST HOPE THEN IS THAT FINGON IS ABLE TO ACHIEVE THE SAME FROM THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION.

I ADVISE IN EARNEST THAT YOU MAKE READY IN ALL HASTE.

IN ALLIANCE

ELU THINGOL.

Halmir: "This strategy is sound and we shall adhere to it: Hundar my son, you will ride out with Enthor and tell every able man that the muster is at hand!"

Hundar: "Yes Father!"

Halmir: "Enthor, before you leave tell my daughter to make provision here for the women and children and on your return bring back a company to defend the halls!"

Enthor: "My Lord!"

[At this Handir emerges from his hiding place; Húrin and Huor tumble out behind him...]

Handir: "If there is need of haste perhaps we can ride out with Uncle Hundar or maybe assist Aunt Hiril?"

Halmir: "How did you three... never mind: very well, you shall go to Hiril and aid her as you may!"

Haldir: "And what of you father?"

Halmir: "I have already told you Son, I shall be leading the defence by your side!"

Haldir: "I forbid it!"

Halmir: "Who is Halad here: on what grounds dare you question me Head Captain?"

Haldir: "It is the duty of all captains to protect both lord and land; your continuance is vital, you must remain behind!"

Halmir: "Despite the powers afforded by your office they do not outstrip the word of the Halad who is also High Commander, I will not be restrained!"

Haldir: "What then if you fall beside your sons?"

Halmir: "If our people endure my line is strong, and even if its menfolk should fall then Hiril shall rule until Handir comes of age!  Now all of you to your tasks, time presses on!"

[Throughout the day there is great movement across Brethil as armies are hurriedly mobilised, families bundled together in strongholds and provisions rationed and rotated.  At Amon Obel Húrin says farewell to his beloved cousin...]  

Handir: "You are leaving for battle?"

Húrin: "Ay!"

Handir: "But why?"

Húrin: "You heard what was said in Thingol's letter, my father's kin are cut off in the north; if there is a chance of aiding them then I must take it!"

Handir: "And Huor?"

Húrin: "He is of like mind also?"

Handir: "He is so young..."

Húrin: "Yes, but he is wicked fast and sharp of eye; I shall protect him!"

Handir: "Make sure of it!  Alas, am I to be abandoned here as a nursemaid?"

[Huor approaches...]

Huor: "Ha, ha, ha: Nursey, that's a good one!"

Húrin: "Give over!"

Handir: "No, let him jest the cheeky sod; I have grown accustomed to it!"

[They stand in silence for a moment...]

Huor: "Do not feel too badly about staying behind, Handir; your father is right, the preservation of your house is vital!"

Handir: "Not a total dead loss then?"

Húrin: "He has his moments..."

Handir: "We will see each other again?"

Húrin: "We shall dance at each of our three weddings, I promise!" 

[Before parting they huddle in a circle touching heads...]

Huor: "Bye then, Nursey!"

Handir: "Farewell cousins..."

[He turns about to rejoin his aunt and uncle in the preparations for the defence...]

Voice of Emeldir: "And thus came to pass that the valour of many as yet untested was about to be tried in direst of circumstances as the battle for control of the north west was about to begin!"

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment