The muddled last thoughts of one Gelmir of Nargothrond by Huinare

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for B2MeM2012: Thurs 22 Mar.  BINGO # B14.
Prompts: “Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad” (Alternate Viewpoints), “Crossover with one of your favorite books” (Crossover 1).

The "crossover" is technically with the story "The Renegade/Le Renégat" from Camus' Exile and the Kingdom, but this mainly takes the form of my shamelessly swiping certain themes, narrative devices, plot and character elements, and putting them in Middle Earth.  I will not claim that my story represents or mirrors Camus' story in any substantive way, but it is meant to have certain striking similarities. 
Since the Professor has been spinning a lot, I figured it was someone else's turn.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Gelmir, on his way to the incident that shall spark the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, reflects on the circumstances that brought him to this point. 

Major Characters: Gelmir, Gwindor, Orcs, Sauron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Horror

Challenges: B2MeM 2012

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Rape/Nonconsensual Sex, Torture, Character Death, Violence (Graphic)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 680
Posted on 1 April 2012 Updated on 1 April 2012

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Hi,

me again. If you are thinking that I'm reading only you for the past couple of days, you are very right. All your stories are very good, but I must admitt that this one (along with the Melkian dialogues and the Sundry) has impressed me greatly.

The cruelty of this is genuine, especially of the conversation between Sauron and Gelmir after they had blinded him (but probably the effect of this would not be so strong if there hadn't been any preparations for it (I mean, there is a harmony of tone over the whole story - the torch, Varda's light, his eyes, Sauron's bet - very nice)). Sauron in this story has one of the best portraits I have ever come across to. Gelmir's fate is one of the rare really disturbing accounts of what is men reduced to when he abandons his highest hope. To cite Nietzsche: 'Please, don't kill the hero inside yourself. Regard your highest hope to be holy.' I think this quotation relates quite well with your story. 

When I was reading this (your story) for the first time, I haven't noticed that you have mentioned a story of Camus as the 'template'. I'm a great admirerer of Camus, but I haven't read 'The Renegade'. However, I recognize some elements in your story that certainly have something of his greatness, especially the indifference of things ('the gentle indifference' as Camus would put it - the torch), the whole account of Gelmir's thoughts before his execution, the theme of execution (Camus obssesion, certainly), and the cruelty that actually gets a 'thank you' after her dirty work has been done. Of course, I don't think that the understanding and use of these were the right of Camus alone - out of the idea of incorporation of these in your story lurks also a greatness that is your own.

Easily the best story on this site.

 

 

Hi Belegur,

Thanks very much.  I'm glad you enjoyed the story so much!  I would heartily recommend Camus' short story 'The Renegade,' as I was definitely going for a similar style and theme with this piece (and rereading it now, I find it almost too blatant an homage in some ways).

I'm pleased you liked Sauron's portrayal here.  I enjoy writing him a bit too much, I think.  He likes to try and steal any story I place him in.  Re: Nietzsche quote, that's an interpretation I would not have thought of.  To my mind, Gelmir's highest hope is what lands him in so much trouble to begin with, but I'm rather a cynic.  In your third paragraph, you do pick up on a lot of the things I was trying to accomplish with this story, and I'm delighted you got so much out of it.

And that is a most flattering closing remark, but have you read every single story on this site before making it? ;)  There is a plethora of impressive work by many authors here on the SWG; that's why I like to archive here! =D