Mythmoot Mathoms by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Each ficlet uses as an opening line one of the options for the "First Lines" challenge. I have made minor modifications when needed to fit the gender, tense, and setting of the ficlet.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

I hid a prize in my Mythmoot III presentation, and these ficlets were written for those who discovered it and sent me their request.

Updated! Answered Swiftly: Fingon's prayer and the rescue of Maedhros, told from Throndor's perspective. Slightly experimental and weirdish.

Older: Love There Too: Olórin comes upon a young Finwë and Míriel at Cuivíenen.
The Mystery of the Missing Medallion: Maglor's begetting day gift for his father has gone missing. A tale involving a mad music master, missing jewelry, and a very odd hostage.

Major Characters: Caranthir, Curufin, Fëanor, Finwë, Gandalf, Maglor, Míriel Serindë, Thorondor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental, General

Challenges: First Lines

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 3, 167
Posted on 18 January 2015 Updated on 31 May 2015

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

Olórin comes upon a young Finwë and Míriel at Cuivíenen. This ficlet is for Dreamflower, who asked for "Olorin back when he used to walk among the Elves unseen."

This almost-not-a-ficlet was written for Indy, who asked for something about Maglor.

Baranduin asked for the Eagles ... the birds, not the band! This weirdish ficlet series gives a different perspective on Maedhros's rescue.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh how delightful! I just love what compels him to check out these two Elves!

Your descriptions of the two, Miriel occupied w ith her craft, the primitive crown Finwe wore, were a nice touch. I also love Gandalf being fascinated with the curiosity and compassion he saw in Finwe's mind (the same qualities that would later attract him to hobbits).

Best of all was him playing Cupid! Just such a subtle little nudge, to let them know their feelings were requited. Adorable!

thank you so much, sweetie!

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. :) I realized that the quote could have meant that he traveled among the Elves unseen at many points in their history, but I could not get Cuivienen out of my mind. Which opened the obvious possibility of him advising them about Valinor ... but that seemed too heavy (and I'm not sure that "wisdom" in that case was actually going to Valinor). I like the idea of Gandalf's influence coming through the small and the humble, so this seemed a good instance of first contact.

I love this. It is just so charming and imaginative.  I really will be unable to imagine young Miriel and Finwe any other way in the future. Finwe's crown! I adore it and love him in it. Oh, Dawn. This is perfect. I needed this today.

I really love Finwe and Miriel, but Olórin also is one of my all-time favorites!

Beautiful imagining, Dawn.

Aww, thank you! :D I loved Dreamflower's prompt, which was something I'd read a hundred times and never really thought about. I always envision Finwe as a rather playful and childlike character, despite his accomplishments. I suppose the cliche way to say it would be that he "has a big heart"! :) He wants badly to love and be loved.

I haven't written too much Miriel, but all the talk over how fast *I* talk of late makes me feel connected to her, so I kind of wrote self-insert!Miriel, I guess. ;)

Olorin, of course, is the most challenging of all for me, but he's ultimately a fun character, which is nice.

Thank you again for reading and commenting! (Let me know if you want a story. I feel like all you've been through, you deserve one.)

I enjoyed this--the amost inconsequential way it starts and the angle it gives on the characterization of Finwe and Miriel.

I never imagined Olorin doing that sort of thing at Cuivienen, already, or indeed concerning himself with people's love life at all, so that came as a delightful surprise.

Neither did I! :) But when Dreamflower requested a ficlet about that particular line, I couldn't get Cuivienen out of my mind (even though the quote certainly doesn't even *imply* it). And I was thinking, "What kind of wisdom might he have passed on there?" I couldn't see him encouraging the Elves to accept the summons (because I don't find that particularly wise), and there are only a limited number of characters present there at all. So I happened on this idea. :)

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Thank you, Indy! I'm glad you liked it. :) I am guilty of the thing with the pens too: When I was in middle and high school, I hated lending pens to peers because, if they forgot to give them back (which they usually did), I couldn't forget it, yet I was too shy to ask for the pen back, so I'd just watch them using it day in and day out and think, "THAT'S MY PEN YOU" *ahem* Anyway. So yes, that one was true to life, I'm afraid! :)

I'm laughing at the bird brain! :D I honestly hadn't thought much about the Eagles as characters until Baranduin's request. But the usual urge to write unusual perceptions made this an interesting piece to write (even if I was worried enough about it to hold onto it for months ... when I wrote it, there was still snow on the ground! A lot of snow!)

Thanks for reading and commenting!

I'm glad you thought it was awesome! :) I wrote this piece months ago and could never quite bring myself to post it. Mostly because it's weird. And then a comment from Baranduin over the weekend on something entirely unrelated made me think, "Dawn, you're being pretty silly and pretty rude at this point, to hold a requested story this long without posting it." So I posted it finally. (Now I just need to WRITE the rest of the Mythmoot mathoms!)

I enjoy writing perspectives on the fringes of humanity (or unusual perspectives generally). I hadn't thought much about the Eagles as characters before this piece and could see going just as easily in a more human-like direction in the future, but this particular perspective was too tempting to resist this time.