They Can Nearly Talk by Chestnut_pod

| | |

Fanwork Notes

With profound gratitude and some tongue-in-cheek ribbing to James Herriot/James Alfred Wight, author of All Creatures Great and Small and its many sequels, which were a source of delight and knowledge when I was young.

The selection of hymn in the summary is (mostly) by Cecil Frances Alexander. The title is a quote adapted from Master Samwise -- “'That animal can nearly talk,’ he said.” -- as well as a sideways reference to Herriot's original publication, If Only They Could Talk (1969).

This fic is consistent with the sickness, injury, descriptions of surgery, and death of animals found in James Herriot's books. I would say the fic includes canon-typical levels of each of those things, the canon being All Creatures Great and Small, etc. Also like James Herriot's books, this fantasy fic by a non-vet is NOT an accurate portrayal of veterinary medicine as it is practiced today by humans, and you should in no way use it as guidance, advice, or illustration of any kind of veterinary problem or solution. Don't be silly!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
Eru Ilúvatar made them all.

For an Age of the world, Valinorean readers have devoured Doctor Heriel's bestselling tales of animal leeching in the beautiful environs of the Elf-city of Alqualondë. This new translation into Westron will introduce a generation of readers in the Eastern Lands to the gentleness of spirit, warm humor, and love for the animal world that have secured Doctor Heriel's literary reputation across the Sea.

 

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Crossover, General, Humor, In-Universe Artifact

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings, In-Universe Racism/Ethnocentrism

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 5, 002
Posted on 2 December 2023 Updated on 2 December 2023

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

Chestnut_pod has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Research, Sensitivity Read, Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics, Worldbuilding. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.