Sketches from Beleriand by Tehta

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Finrod longs to tell his absent love everything, including all he has learned of Men.

Written for Alexcat for 2013 My Slashy Valentine


Major Characters: Bëor, Finrod Felagund

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Humor

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 738
Posted on 15 February 2013 Updated on 15 February 2013

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.



Recapping from the SV site, but it bears repeating... :^)

Sketches from Beleriand is hilarious, but I would expect no less from you, tehta.  Each of Finrod's parenthetical asides on his enclosed sketches (or list) are increasingly hootworthy, and you've captured his scholarly (and patronizing - although a well-intentioned kind of patronizing) voice perfectly.  A great andvery entertaining read!  

And this...

"Imagine the scene: off in the distance, the mountains rolled towards me, softened by the distance and shaded an impossible indigo. Meanwhile, beside me, every blade of grass, every flower-petal, every leaf on every tree stood out in the still, glowing air, sharp and separate, as if masterfully wrought from a ductile metal. (Not from stone, though: even if I found some in the right blue-green shade, I could never carve it so finely.) 

(I confess I am quite pleased with the descriptive powers displayed above, but in case they have failed me, I am enclosing a few watercolours. I believe the third is the best.)"

AH HAHAHAHA!  That was the first bit that sent me well and truly over the edge.

And you're right:  Finrod's sketch would have been FAR more anatomically correct than my badly drawn cartoon. :^D

Come on, he's right. That is a GENIUS descriptive paragraph. And it is important to pull one's impressive hobbies into every conversation...

I really do enjoy writing people with artistic ambitions (Elves are good for that!) because one can indulge in some fun self-mockery.

Anyway, thanks for reviewing! TWICE!

This is so wonderful! I love eager, slightly clueless Finrod and his inquisitiveness. I like to imagine his letters somehow survived the fall of Nargothrond and found their way to Amarie eventually… I can see her much later showing the sketches around at family gatherings like other people do with baby photographs, a blushing Finrod in the corner trying to ignore them all ;-)