The Stars over Aglon by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This is a trio of gapfillers in my Maedhros series.

I think they can (just about) be read as a story on their own as they stand, but if you find yourself puzzled, please consult the end notes.

 

Written as a birthday present for Gwailome

 

Maedhros/Fingon

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Fingon on his way to Himring--and in Himring--and on his way back.

 

Major Characters: Fingon, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Romance

Challenges: Gift of a Story

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Sexual Content (Moderate)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 336
Posted on 6 October 2013 Updated on 6 October 2013

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is lovely, Himring, I like the travel toward Himring very much. Seems an arduous and difficult way to travel now, but must have given people time to think, which sometimes one can feel is lacking the way we live now.

"‘It would be a worse fate not to be allowed to love him’, answered Fingon silently."

Such a simple line and so beautiful. Beautifully satisfying story, my dear!

Thank you very much, Oshun!

I'm so glad you found it satisfying! I was afraid it might be a little too fragmentary.

And I'm happy you like that line!

We have lost our feeling for distances, rather--until the inevitable moments when technology fails or breaks down. Yes, it would have given people a lot of time to think.

There are occasions when clearly Fingon and Maedhros would have been very happy to be able to move more quickly or at least communicate by telephone--although Morgoth no doubt would have had the lines cut or blocked or at least hacked!

 

Thank you! I'm glad you feel they make a story!

At this time they are not even sure that they will be with each other in Middle-earth again, depending on whether Morgoth is already planning another attack--not even Fingon dreams of Tirion, let alone Maedhros. But nevertheless, they will be there together, one day...

This was so lovely! Everything with Fingon is, because he is a darling. I can see why Maedhros fell in  ove with him. 

But as usual, you never lets us forget about the danger they face: from Morgoth, form the Oath, from being found out. That always makes little happy snippets like this one stand out.

Oh dear! *passes you the tissues*

There is a lot of separation, yes--and I guess this story makes it sound particularly bad.

That one week seems a bit cruel, in retrospect, although it's been a feature of the series from the start. The underlying idea is that, while Maedhros can leave Himring in Maglor's care at a pinch, Fingon doesn't seem to have anyone he can safely delegate Hithlum to in the insecure situation after the Bragollach. That is, assuming that Hurin doesn't usually command Noldor--which for some reason I have the impression he didn't. So Fingon can't afford a long absence at this stage and for the political purposes a week is just about enough.

This being a short time after the Bragollach, a traumatic time for both of them, they're not relying on anything at this point, but in fact, Maedhros is going to manage to make the trip to Hithlum a couple more times before the Nirnaeth.

Before the Bragollach, during the Siege, it had always Maedhros who went west to take part in his uncle's councils--and he had been oddly shy about inviting Fingon east--which explains Fingon's reaction at finally being invited.

Of course, all that still adds up to a great deal of separation...

(Sorry--teal deer!)