Sand and Flame by Tehta

| | |

Fanwork Notes

0. Nolofinwë and Arafinwë are, of course, Fingolfin and Finarfin.
1. There are a few inaccuracies here with respect to the more obscure texts, I think. For one, I believe that Feanor and Nerdanel met while traveling outdoors; for another, I seem to recall that Fëanor and Nerdanel married before Finwe and Indis did. Please forgive me, hmm?
2. The suggestion that Feanor invented glass has been made before, by Nol in the Vain Songs. (Fëanaro made it.) I think it works really well with the Cinderella legend as it is more normally told.
3. Now that I know a bit more about glass, I am driven mad by the fact that those slippers cooled so quickly after being made, and needed no annealing. I guess it was Elven magic?

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A retelling of a very well-known story. Features Fëanor and Nerdanel as young geeks in love, a rather unsympathetic look at Indis, and a lot of very simple sentences.

Major Characters: Fëanor, Indis, Melkor, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Humor

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 409
Posted on 7 November 2013 Updated on 7 November 2013

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is a lovely story.
I enjoyed mostly the parts towards the end where Fëanoro and Nerdanel interact over Indis' head.

All other parts were just as fun to read:
Melkor's lack of constant magic, the clothing turn, and especially the last line, lived happily, if not ever after.

I loved the sarcastic humor.

I loved the term "two geeks in love." It stuck with me across the years. I believe it also. Why did Feanor who probably was much sought after, eldest son of the king! Marry a woman who reputedly is not all that attractive? Number 1, I am not sure that I would not find her attractive; more importantly, number 2, he didn't fall for her because of her looks, but because they shared an obsession with their work and respect for one another's; that is a very potent element in a relationship. Hard to overestimate.

I am constantly hearing people bitch about how unfair it is to trash Indis. But it can really feel good! (She will always be the other woman to me.)

Great story and very funny and true in all the fun ways.

I do have other (unpulished) bits where I am more sympathetic to Indis. But this is Feanaro's POV! Of course he would trash her, in his mind.

I also have another, (slightly) more serious Nerdanel & spouse story in the works, where I try to give my take on her. And, yeah, part of it is that she is certainly not a famed beauty, but then it is hard to be known as one unless one makes the effort to present oneself beautifully at the right occasions, and she just never bothers. She has plenty of other interests. Nor does F's lineage score him any points with her, since she believes that being a famed smith (like her father) is much better than being a king. (Fortunately for F, he can pull off both.)

Actually, I am a bit excited to finish this story, because parts of it amuse me a lot, which is often a good sign...