They Went in Haste by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

From time to time, we get together on the SWG Discord and instradrabble: write impromptu short-shorts using a four-word prompt. I am collecting my drabbles here: each exactly 100 words.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A collection of drabbles written for instadrabbling sessions on the SWG Discord.

Major Characters: Caranthir, Celegorm, Daeron, Fëanor, Fingon, Maedhros, Pengolodh, Voronwë

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges:

Rating: Creator Chooses Not to Rate

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 9 Word Count: 887
Posted on 18 November 2018 Updated on 18 November 2018

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

Prompt: borne, fled, forest, strong

Celegorm ruins a project in his father's forge and flees to the forest.

Prompt: fragrant, bustle, refuse, hasten

Carnistir doesn't get ready for a dance with his future wife Taryindë.

Prompt: heart, stroke, encounter, fire

Fëanor makes the first Silmaril.

(The last instadrabbling session, I tackled this same topic, earlier in the sequence but very different in tone: Fëa. I am considering that I should do a Feanor-makes-the-Silmarils every time I instadrabble! XD)

Prompt: clash, wind, rough, dim

Voronwë and his crew almost reached Valinor.

Prompt: bleak, snow, scurry, breath

Fingon visits Maedhros during the first snowstorm after the Battle of Sudden Flame. Implied Maedhros/Fingon.

Prompt: star, martyr, box, sunset

Maedhros remembers his last interaction with his brothers before his captivity.

Prompt: binomial, chocolate, world, tree

Pengolodh sneaks off to hear Daeron speak of how he won the Cirth. With a nod to one of my favorite tales from Norse mythology.

Prompt: river, book, scar, hollow

Maedhros mourns the effects of centuries of war. Implied Maedhros/Fingon.

Prompt: seedling, last, rekindle, shadow

For Anairë, after the Darkening, much has changed, yet some things remain the same.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I don't quite know how you do this- make such a short scene so utterly complete. So much in this; the refusal to allow them to make Feanor a martyr (and it never occured to me before that they would try! Curufinwe's hands- that focus on their grime, their depserate scrbbling to save dust, is terribly poignant- and the heavy heavy irony of Maitimo (still) is so weighted. Brilliant.

This creates a wonderful image of darkness and a voice speaking out of it- the Odon myth is really interesting here. (and of course, the Christ myth too) An ordeal that yields gifts, not only th story but the voice too. I like the idea that Pengolodh is outside the lamplight.

Oh, this is a grim and sorrowful tale- but I think it is how Tolkien saw things too. Maedhros is the most tragic of all his characters I think and then slow grinding of his spirit the worse thing Tolkien inflivts upon him. Fingon's death seems to finish him and only the Oath keeps him alove. 

There is a terrible bitterness and fury and grief in this one line:Curufinwë—hands ash-grimed from trying to gather their father into a box.

And of course the irony, although I am sure he knew this only too well when he choose to go and sortie with Morgoth, that maitimo went too - his choice, his price, his loss. He was willing to pay.