More about Maglor by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

I. Maglor Tunes a Guitar.

II. Forging Gold

III. Like the Voice of an Old Friend

IV. Silmaril

V. Half-Elven

VI. A Distant Shore

VII. Silver Girl

VIII. The Refusers

 

Stories I and II Written for B2MeM prompts: Seasons of Middle-earth (B2MeM 2014)

SWG Arda Underground challenge: see "Maglor Tunes a Guitar", end notes.

Story III written for LOTR Community Challenge: May 2014

Story IV: a drabble for Tolkien Weekly: November 2014

Stories V and VI: written for Fandom Stocking 2014

Story VII: written for Fandom Stocking 2017

Story VIII: written for Fandom Stocking 2018

 

Rating and warnings: see individual stories

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Tales about Maglor.

Last Added: The Refusers (Maglor and Avari)

 

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Avari, Celeborn, Celebrían, Elemmírë, Elrond, Elros, Gilmith, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Arda Underground, B2MeM 2014, Gift of a Story

Rating: Creator Chooses Not to Rate

Warnings:

Chapters: 8 Word Count: 5, 445
Posted on 22 March 2014 Updated on 24 February 2019

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

In Umbar, Maglor tunes a guitar in the Feanorian manner.

(No, not what you think: nobody dies!)

B2MeMPrompt: Durin's Day (Seasons of Middle-earth: Autumn)

Rating: Teens (warning: moderate violence, but very much non-graphic)

 

Maglor and three of his brothers on a day towards the end of the Fell Winter (First Age).

Prompt (B2MeM 2014: Winter): Use the following song to inspire your writing or artwork: "Crystal Forest" by Nox Arcana

Rating: General

The title alludes to the alleged meaning of Maglor’s mother name (Quenya Makalaure).  Maglor’s father name Kanafinwe is also mentioned, as is the shortened form Kano.

Maglor, son of Feanor, encounters the Aldudenie, the famous lament for the Two Trees composed by the Vanya Elemmire.

But what does it mean to him?

 

Rating: Teens (PG for arguably Mature Themes)

 

Written for the LOTR Community Challenge May 2014

Theme: character study

Elements: the character spends time with an old friend

 

A little reflection on two central symbols in Tolkien's work, the Silmaril and the Ring.

Drabble written for the Homophone Challenge at Tolkien Weekly on LiveJournal (100 words according to MS Word)

Prompt: threw/through

Rating: Teens (PG)

In his wanderings, Maglor encounters a half-elven child.
Inevitably, this evokes memories of two other half-elven children.

Written as a gift for Independence1776 for Fandom Stocking 2014

Rating: General audiences.

Gilmith, daughter of Mithrellas, walks by the sea and meets someone she remembers from her childhood.

Inspired by Elleth's wonderful photomanip This Far Distant Shore

Written for Elleth for Fandom Stocking 2014

Rating: General

While Celeborn is away, Celebrian makes a friend.

Written for Independence1776 for Fandom Stocking 2017.

Her wish list included wandering Maglor stories.

Rating: Teens (for background considerations)

A short piece featuring wandering Maglor and his reflections on Avari: the idea of them and the reality.

Written for Narya for Fandom Stocking 2018


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, just... wait, just wow. Alright, let me become more coherent, because this piece just sings to me. I just love how you played with the homophones and gave this drabble so much depth and insight in his state of mind.

It does leave me to wonder what ring he is claiming though, I am utterly intrigued. Which makes me as a reader go back, read it again to see if I can figure it out.

Well done, powerful!

 

 

Thank you very much, Rhapsody! I'm so glad the piece sings to you!

But as far as the ring is concerned--I'm afraid that, in posting, I didn't realize that with the different tagging here at SWG that para would be more difficult to follow than it was originally. The ring is the One Ring and what I'm doing here is comparing Maglor's throwing the Silmaril into the sea with Frodo (and Isildur)'s refusal to throw the Ring into the Fire on Orodruin. I've added an end note now to explain.

(Although an AU in which Maglor ended up as the Ring-bearer would certainly be interesting as well--you've written something a bit like that in "Once upon Amon Hen", haven't you?)