The Musician by Cirth

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Ecthelion finds his flute disagreeable.

Major Characters: Ecthelion of the Fountain, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Humor

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 164
Posted on 3 October 2014 Updated on 3 October 2014

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Another delightful story with your Maglor! Your characterization of Makalaurë is, in my opinion, simply perfect; it manages to show him as an artist but also as a powerful, prideful and determined individual. The way you manage to depict the almost unnatural quality of his voice and its effects with simple elegance, without the reader finding it forced shows a good technical ability. As for the style it is simple but vivid and the characters' actions and behaviour feel realistic. 

The dry wit of Maglor is awesome and, probably, the best way to deal with a sullen young kid struggling with what he wants to be and the adult Ehtelion seems to have 'caught' more than how to play from him, as the last phrase shows.

In conclusion: congratulations.

Thank you so much for your kind review, Valentis. I always grow a bit hesitant/scared when I describe Maglor's voice (usually, I try to avoid it altogether, because a 'voice...like the sea' is awfully difficult to describe without getting cheesy), so I'm glad you liked it here. I'm flattered that you enjoy my little Maglor stories. :)

A little random, but I like it. Ecthelion is characterized well, especially with his embarrassment and stubbornness. And it's a great idea to have Maglor be the one to teach him. Maglor's description is kind of scary, though. I also like the part on magic. 

I'm a little confused as to the second part. Where is it taking place? I should have thought Gondolin if it weren't for the F.A. - which is Fourth Age, or so I thought. 

Overall, this is well written and entertaining, despite my confusion. Great story!