Brain Fog by Huinare

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Maiar shortly to arrive in Middle-earth as the Istari are faced with an unsettling precondition to their participation in the mission. Salmar has opinions. Curumo has justifications. Alatar has a flask.

Major Characters: Alatar, Gandalf, Oromë, Pallando, Radagast, Salmar, Saruman, Uinen

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 872
Posted on 29 December 2014 Updated on 29 December 2014

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

This is probably stating the obvious, but, just in case: No, that's not a typo, my version of Pallando is genderswapped.

Sort of implied body horror. 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, poor Curumo! Olorin seems way better equipped to handle something like this.

There is a particular cross-fic irony in that bit about "voluntary subjects"--since Draugluin is in fact a voluntary subject, if ill-informed--and I don't think what the Valar are doing here quite qualifies as "fully informed consent" either...

(Noldorin surgeons? Really? Oh dear.)

Ha, yes, I like to play off the irony of Curumo volunteering to go and ultimately being really not suited to either the nature or stictures of the mission, whilst Olórin ends up succeeding despite his initial reluctance.

You remembered Draugluin's questionably voluntary participation! =D  Apparently a lot of my characters are a little murky on the concept of informed consent, come to think of it.

My Valar wouldn't know the first thing about complicated surgeries, because one of their issues is that they are powerful but fairly stagnant in their power, i.e. new ideas do not come easily to them (which is part of the attraction of the more dynamic Children to them). I thought the Noldor would probably be a step ahead of them in this regard.

Thanks for your comments, Himring!

I must say that the main idea of this is well thought-out, intriguing and explains canon quite well! I always enjoy a scientific reconstruction od Tolkien's legendarium and this one is a very well written one. To read your work is always a pleasure and I am very happy that you are back!