Maps by grey_gazania

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Thanks to Zeen for her feedback and for the title!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Fingon, Caranthir, and the aftermath of Maedhros' capture by Morgoth.

Major Characters: Caranthir, Fingolfin, Fingon, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships: Fingon/Maedhros, Caranthir & Maedhros, Fingolfin & Maedhros, Caranthir & Fingon

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: Creator Chooses Not to Rate

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 16 Word Count: 16, 176
Posted on 7 February 2016 Updated on 25 July 2023

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is a great story. I remember reading the first chapter- probably when you first posted(I htink:) but had lost track. Adding to favourites so I can always find it. I love Caranthir's voice in this - deadpan, clever, with an integrity. Loved the comment about Arafinwe's children are harder to decieve- that's a super little detail.

Great chapter- I like this almost understated tone, thoughtful and watchful.  That phrase, they fly, the servants he sends, is quite unpleasnatly evocative of some THING nasty and scary. Like the winged monkeys in Wizard of Oz.

I find this a really convincing account of what may have been- that conversation strikes me as highly probable. And I love Carnistir in this fic- resonance of Dawn Felgund's wonderfully insightful character.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Awesome story!!!

I love the change in perspective and that the style of the chapters resonates with the charakter of the current narrator. Also, being a huge Nolofinwe-fangirl, I really like that he too is a developed charakter in this story (not like some, where he gets reduced to filler-status).

I really enjoy your take on this storyline! The emotions and motivations of your characters are really convincing. And I love your Caranthir. This last chapter in particular was painful, but painted such a vivid and beautiful picture of their relationship, as brothers and confidantes and people who lend each other strength.

Terrific idea! Even if it is very ghoulish- but it strikes me that actually this is very likely- Morgoth would know all about those sorts of senses one has (or hears about anyway) and would know just how to use a connection. And I do love Caranthir and his strange ability.

Good to see you update this!

Such a lot of tension still, both within their minds and among them.

The writing lesson seems a good idea, though.