The Elf at the Bottom of the Garden by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The Strength and Beauty challenge prompt:

"Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony,
but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful,
strength has much to do with the magic."

~Herman Melville, Moby Dick

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Could Amras, son of Feanor, and Haldar, Haleth's brother, have met? 

I think they could--well, in my 'verse, at any rate.

Another glimpse of the early history of the Haladin, also featuring a very young Haleth. 

Written both for the "Strength and Beauty" challenge at SWG and for the Ambarussa day of Feanorian Week (Tumblr), although it features only Amras.

Major Characters: Amras, Haldad, Haldar, Haleth

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Strength and Beauty

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 585
Posted on 24 March 2017 Updated on 24 March 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


That was a really fun read! I love the strong and beautiful part. I'm like that when I think of Elves (think Tolkien was too).

Sometimes he helped Haldad with tasks about the farmstead that needed doing, but sometimes he just sat quietly by himself and fletched arrows.

I always loved people like that when I was a kid. Kids love to watch people work with their hands.

I really like the idea of Fëanorian interaction with the Haladin; there must have been meetings like this one to ensure smooth relations between the Eldar and the Humans.

The way Amras appeared to Haldar had something of a fairytale and you captured Haldar's childlike curiosity mixed with some parts trepidation very well.

One question though: are the Drughu the Dwarves?

Thank you very much! Glad you liked Haldar's point of view and his meeting with Amras!

In a way this  piece is a rather unsubtle defence of Caranthir. He has drawn some quite strong criticism from some fans, first for ignoring the Haladin so long and then for inviting them to join him.

Although the events played out badly for the Haladin--that terrible attack in which Haldad and Haldar and many others died--I don't think that Caranthir in any way anticipated this. I also suspect, given what we know about their attitudes at other times, that the Haladin may have been quite happy to be ignored, at first.

I think some kind of meeting between a Feanorian elf and the Haladin is suggested by the text, because Caranthir seems to have learned of the Haladin's arrival at some point. I elected Amras to be that Feanorian, partly because he was also in a good position to have learned about the Haladin from the Green Elves and because he could also tell the Haladin about Estolad (which Haleth later seems to know about). Although it doesn't really need to have been a prince! But my Sons of Feanor are pretty hands-on, generally.

"Drughu" is the Druedain's own name for themselves. That is the Druedain that we meet in The Lord of the Rings (they lead the Rohirrim through their forest) or rather their remote ancestors. The Unfinished Tales says that the Haladin had Druedain living among them, in what seems to have been a very harmonious co-existence. This is not mentioned in the published Silmarillion.

 

"Drughu" is the Druedain's own name for themselves. That is the Druedain that we meet in The Lord of the Rings (they lead the Rohirrim through their forest) or rather their remote ancestors. The Unfinished Tales says that the Haladin had Druedain living among them, in what seems to have been a very harmonious co-existence. This is not mentioned in the published Silmarillion.

Thank you for the explanation; now I do indeed remember the Druedain! It has been way too long since I last read either The Silmarillion or The Lord of the Rings, and though I have Unfinished Tales in my bookcase, I unfortunately haven't had the time to read it yet :(

This is lovely! The title is very fairy tale-esque, and I love the image of Amras appearing and disappearing into the bushes at the beginning and the end, and Haldar's sense of wonder about the whole experience.

It was also fun to see Haleth and Haldar as children, and their dynamic. I can definitely see this Haleth growing up into the fearless leader of the Haladin she is in canon.

I can't remember now whether I've commented on this in one of the other places it was posted. I like this a lot. It's an unexpected combination of characters, but you've made it work! Amras's motivations for seeking out the Haladin here make sense to me, and I like the idea that the Haladin and the Elves had some contact alread before Haleth met Caranthir. I like Haleth's no-nonsense attitude and the way Haldar is charmed by meeting Amras. I'm also happy that one of the Druedain made an appearance.

Thank you very much!

I'm glad Amras's motivations make sense. I think canon at least leaves room for such contact between the Elves and the Haladin.

Good to hear that Haleth's characterization works for you.

(And I'm always here for more Druedain! Except I don't like the idea of making Sador one of them, as Tolkien considered at one point. That's because I like the bits about him being a failed soldier of Fingolfin's and so on, that would have to go, because they are probably not compatible.)