(Vote) Up Not Down by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

My prompt for the Competition Challenge was this:

"Wer Liebe Lebt" by Michelle (video | lyrics).

You wouldn't image that even I would manage to inject a touch of melancholy into my response to this very upbeat prompt, but I did.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Life is too short for some kind of contests.

Maybe it's possible to love one thing without knocking the alternative.

(Especially if both of them happen to be fictional, in any case.)

 

Free verse (pretty much extra free)

Major Characters:

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Poetry

Challenges: Competition

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 169
Posted on 28 May 2018 Updated on 28 May 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Nice work! Unlike others who've commented, I like the style and organization better than the moral instructive tone of the poem. But it certainly works extremely well within the context of the text. Always been one of my favorite little disputes in the text--two valorous knights defending two worthy ladies. It really reeks of the courtly love tradition, doesn't it? So chivalrous in tone and resolved so nicely in the story itself.

Another of those instances where the reader is reminded that Tolkien was not only a linguist but a medievalist.

 

Thank you very much, Oshun!

I hadn't set out to write meta or instruct, really.

I was mulling over the prompt and thinking that I had already written about Daeron and Maglor and probably couldn't say anything else worthwhile about them.

Then this happened and I thought I'd better go with it and stand by it...

In a way it's quite odd for a quasi-Scandinavian dwarf and a quasi-Anglo-Saxon king to be indulging in a cleaned-up version of courtly love. But really, no odder than some of the things that go on in the medieval texts Tolkien was familiar with; they weren't purist either.

Thank you!

Sort of! Although the poem kind of straddles in-universe and out-of-universe perspectives.

It's canon itself that features some of those superlatives, to begin with.

But, yes, it is also slightly relevant to fandom. Not that I can claim to be all Solomonic myself, in these matters.