The Influence of Tinfang by LadyBrooke

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Tinfang is accounted one of the greatest minstrels, along with Maglor and Daeron.

In spite of this, the musical abilities of all three outside of sheer performance skills are described in less detail in The Silmarillion than other characters like Finrod. This essay attempts to gather the quotes that suggest Tinfang's degree of power and influence over objects and people in his original context.

Major Characters: Tinfang

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Nonfiction/Meta

Challenges: Analysing Arda

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 825
Posted on 16 July 2018 Updated on 16 July 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I enjoyed reading this essay, Brooke!

I think you're right, that Tinfang in some ways shows an earlier concept of music in the Legendarium, but also you can see hints of what may still be implied about singers even in the later versions.

Have you seen this painting of Tinfang by Mirach Ravaia?

https://www.deviantart.com/mirachravaia/art/Tinfang-Warble-in-autumn-672103856

It illustrates another quotation that shows him as a kind of seasonal spirit.

Thanks, Himring! I'm glad you enjoyed it (and I'm still working on that other essay about elven families and generational differences I mentioned elsewhere - last month just required something I could write quickly, because new chaos just kept showing up).

Singing seems to be one of those things that Tolkien had in his stories from their earliest incarnations - who and what is the most powerful with it might have changed, along with what they can do, but it's always there. It's interesting, at least to me.

I have seen that painting! Mirach is really good at pictures that illustrate those types of quotations. He really does seem like some kind of seasonal spirit in it.