Home from War by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

A late Block Party wish-list fill for grey_gazania, who had asked for a story about Círdan and/or the elves of the Falas (or Balar).

 

Warning for referenced character death (canonical losses during the War of the Last Alliance)

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Cirdan and his people return from the War of the Last Alliance to Mithlond. 
It is not an easy home-coming, after what they have been through.

Major Characters: Círdan, Elves

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Block Party

Rating: General

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 993
Posted on 28 June 2020 Updated on 28 June 2020

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Wow, I can really relate to Círdan's experiences — the way an unfamiliar environment can make loss feel less real, only for it to be brought home to one in full force on returning home.

And then way some people lose perspective, seem to forget that even leaders, even the most capable, even those who are always there for others, are people too, who have limits to their capacity, and who also need support, and space for themselves.

And the weary, worn-down thought of maybe just running away from it all, countered by the little rational voice suggesting that the grass, is probably not actually greener on the other side — just a different shade of drawbacks and benefits.

The close nature of his and Gil's relationship is so palpable here, and Círdan’s grief and sense of loneliness mingled with (duty is not quite the word but I can't think ofva me suitable one now)... a lovely, poignant piece.